Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help me!!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by 90_feet, Apr 9, 2001.

1. 90_feet

90_feet

Mar 18, 2001
    i'm in this band called 90_feet and it's going well but the 2nd guitarist and i want to play diffrent genres
    what should i do?

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Hold your ground. Another guitarist is about as hard to get as an AOL offer. Bassists, especially decent bassists are golden.

3. ASR

ASR

Apr 2, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I agree, with one exception. If you plan on writing your own material, different influences could be what a band needs. If everyone wants to play the exact same thing, you won't come up with a fresh sound. Maybe you could both give in a little. You do some stuff he likes, and in return, he can do some stuff you like. Bands are like marriage, you have to compromise sometimes. If he won't bend a little, stand your ground. See what the rest of the band wants. If it comes down to it, I can almost guarantee they will see things your way

4. Play the music you want , when playing becomes more work then fun you've lost the reason you began playing for. Stick with the music you like but at the same time learn new styles and expand your horizons. I started out all metal ( yeah metal .metal rules) I sounded like Beavis and Butthead. Now I love Funk , Jazz , Blues , Punk , Primus (whatever the hell they are ) and classical. Play what you love but learn more when you can

5. bassics

bassics

Nov 27, 2000
    Newark, Ohio
    The definition of "band" is a group, so, my suggestion is to be democratic, play one song you like, and then one song that he likes. This way you're both happy, and the band as a whole has more variety in style, and won't get stuck in a rut.

6. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    If you are a cover band, take into consideration where you want to play and who you'll be playing to. If you want to do rock songs and he wants to do pop and your area only supports pop, conk him on the head with your bass and as he's laying passed out on the stage, whisper in his ear, "You will play rock music, you will play rock music." If you are a cover band, a good rule to live by is this: Play one song for you and two songs for the audience.

Hategear

7. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Of course I meant, if you want to do rock and he wants to do pop, and your area only supports ROCK... Basically, you have the heavier instrument so make him bend to your will.

8. 90_feet

90_feet

Mar 18, 2001
    thanks for the advice! and my amp is louder than all the other one's combined so i drown the out! ;)