Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help Me

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Stephen S, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    In my history of being in bands, I've always been the one writing 90% of the material, and doing most of the work, I usually get us shows, do our recordings, and make plans for the bands. In between bands I usually work on recording complete tracks on my own at home, I play drums, bass, guitar, keyboard, and I sing. My problem is that when I get in bands, people want them to function like a band, but no one wants to write songs, So I end up thinking of it more like My solo project with a backing band. Am I egotistical or just right? I realize that without a backing band I can't play shows, so what do you think?

2. daofktr

daofktr irritating, yet surly

Feb 15, 2005
    aurora, IN
    hmm....
    first of all, how do you approach potential bands for your audition?
    do you tell them that you do everything and you want a backing band for you?
    or do you take it like yer wanting to join the band, which means yer gonna be a band member?
    if you are up front about wanting a band to back you up, then fine. if you initially act like yer gonna be a sideman, then take over, that's intellectually dishonest.
    and...are the bands having you do all this work because they don't want to be bothered, or because you are the one that really knows how, or because you can't stand anyone doing it because they don't do it as well as you? :p

what you should prolly do is put yer ad out... "singer/songwriter/multi-instrumentalist seeks backing band"...
    then there is no ambiguity, and no stepped on feelings.
    as far as egotistical goes, you probably are...no offense meant. :D
    there are few singer/songwriter types that aren't. however, it's not arrogant, per se, to want to do your own stuff. it's arrogant to treat others like yer own personal peons, so don't. remember, if you are gonna be the s/s, you have to have a good product that others 1) want to play, and 2) want to hear. however, there are thousands upon thousands of s/s's out there, working their asses off, trying to make it. you will find there are a lot that are so far into themselves that they alienate their potential fans and potential sidemen.
    don't be one of those...those who you piddle on on the way up will be holding their bladders, waiting for you on the way down. :eek:
    all that being said, if you can write, arrange, promote, record and perform songs, why not have yer own project?
    or...start yer own label, be a producer, and have a stable of other musicians that you can pay to do yer stuff? that way the risks and rewards are yours.
    anyway...that's my two cents...before my first cup of coffee, no less. i might be full of crap. :scowl:
    do lemme know how it comes out!