Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Freaky Fender, Jul 13, 2001.

1. ok i was talking to Allodox this morning and i noticed that there are alot of little divits in my fretbored. He told me i should oil it down with lemon oil. My father has never had to do this with his guitar. i just got the bass a couple of months ago. my i remind you that they are ALL OVER the fretbored. from the first to the last fret. heck they were there when i got it! If i do need to oil it how should i do it?

Edit: it's a rosewood fretbored

2. oy.. it was afternoon over here :)

3. steinbergerxp2

steinbergerxp2 Guest

Jul 11, 2001
    You can also buy a Fingerboard Oil in small bottles at guitar stores, but Lemon Oil is a main ingredient. I think they choose lemon because it's acidic and doesn't promote bacterial growth and mold.

Rosewood can dry out a bit; I find it looks a lot nicer when kept happy with oil. The most common these days is Indian Rosewood, where it is grown in rows between the tea plants to provide shade; the tea planst have about a 40 year lifespand and they harvest the rosewood at the same time.

4. So if i get just lemon oil from a friend who does massage, she says she has some, then that'd be fine?

Saves cutting down a new fretboard from along side the tea plants. :rolleyes:

Merls