Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ARA punk, Sep 3, 2001.

1. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    Help me. I think im in serious trouble. I dont really know much about amps. Ive only been playing for a few months and i have no money so i havent even bothered looking at amps seeing as i wouldnt be able to get one anyway. A guy at my church gave me a BD30B Washburn amp. He told me to mess around with it and if i liked it i could have it for 100 dollars. NE way. I havent payed him yet though i told him that i would take it. I just got taken in as the replacement bassist in the praise band at church. The guitarist was listening to my amp and i thought it sounded wierd my self. He told me he thought i blew it out. Now, it makes a kinda wierd rattling type sound when i play. It still plays, there is just a kinda, staticy, buzz in it. It is kinda hard to explain. Any ideas? If I did blow it out is there a cheap way to fix it?

2. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    is that a guitar amp? if you cranked it up you might have blown it, but otherwise probably not. if it's a guitar amp you probably don't want to buy it for bass though.

3. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    It is a bass amp. Im just worried that im going to have to shell out a hundred hard earned dollars for a screwed up amp. Could it be something like a bad fuse or something?

4. You should not have to pay for it. Stores have a return policy.

You should definitly not have to worry about obligation to buy a broken amp. If you broke it, well in all likelyhood it's not your fault. From what you said, it sounds like it was broken from the begining.

Just take it back. It's not your fault.

5. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    He didn't buy it from a store. A guy at this church loaned it to him to see if he liked it.

6. Silly me:)

Just explain the issue to the person who loaned you the amp, and politly turn down his offer.

7. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    onto my other question, if it is shot is there anyway to fix it that would cost less than buying a completly new one.

8. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Sounds like the speaker to me. Probably the coil dragging.

I'm not familiar with that amp, but if it has a jack for another speaker cab, plug a cab in and see if the cab plays clear.

If you have a headphone jack and it plays OK through the phones, the problem is probably the speaker but it could(not likely though) be the output transistor(s).

If you checked it out to see how loud it would go, that's probably what got the speaker.

Pkr2

9. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    If it didn't sound like that when you got it, your friend won't expect it to sound like that when you give it back. My opinion is that you will either have to cover the cost of having it fixed, or you will have to give the dude a hundred bucks. If it is going to cost more than a hundred bucks to fix what's wrong with it, give him the hundred and be done with it.

Sorry buddy.

10. I have the same amp. It is not a blown fuse. That amp is not tube. Try it through the head phone jack. Good luck.

11. That happned to one of my past amps. Get a screwdriver and make sure all the screws are tight.

12. yeah, a loose speaker grille, or really any loose part of a bass combo or cabinet will make evil rattles.

does it play OK at low volumes? if so, it's probably a blown speaker. if it's distorting at low volumes, it could very well be part of the output section (transistors and all that).

usually (generally with the exception of speakers) the cost of components to fix something is *very* minimal - it's the labour cost of the techy that'll kill ya pocket.