Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help Me

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Systemofadowner, Feb 24, 2002.

1. Systemofadowner

Systemofadowner

Feb 24, 2002
    Mass
    Hey I'm planning on shortly getting my new bass but can't make a decision. Either the Gibson Thunderbird bass or the Epiphone Explorer. Both seem like great basses to me but I can't decide between the two!! Which one should I get and why?

2. Stay away from the Epiphone unless it is one of the early ones. What made you decide on a Thunderbird, there are such a lot of better basses out there for less.

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, offhand, I'd say it was the fact that Shavo uses one to good effect on Toxicity, but that'd just be a guess.

If you can get one off E-bay, I'd go for the Thunderbird. Epi's aren't even in the same league. Just watch the headstock. I hear Gibsons have a real problem with headstocks breaking...

4. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    I am not surprised to hear this. My guitarist bumped the headstock on his '76 Firebird very lightly into a wall, and it split half way through (the headstock, not the wall :D).

5. if he played a telecaster, you WOULD mean the wall. ;)

another thing you should know about T-Birds: they're really heavy.

6. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    One thing about Gibsons,

IMO, the only decent Gibson bass is a Ripper.

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    And the Thunderbird. The only Gibson bass with any staying power. I played one once and it was pretty good.

8. Systemofadowner

Systemofadowner

Feb 24, 2002
    Mass
    Well I definetly that the Thunderbird would be better. I playeds a custom Nikki Sixx one today at Mars. They are great. But the thing is i'm going for a more original look for my bass one that no famous people have. Like Shavo has the exact same thunderbird I always wanted color and anything, I am thinking about making a custom. But could I get an epiphone explorer, put in some new pickups, and new headstock as well? I think that would be a pretty sweet bass, I know I could customize the pickups but could I do the head stock as well? I'm still confused about which one to get.

9. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    you could change the pickups to make it "custom" but you cant just change the headstock. you might try making your own bass out of the specific parts you want from a place like warmoth. don't buy a bass just because your favorite bassist does...

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    New headstock? If you have a scarf joint ad a VERY VERY capable luthier at your disposal. For all other intents and purposes (i.e. persiod) NO.

Has to do with the fact that the gibson's heads tilt back on a straight grain....here.

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    And While I'm thinkin about it:

12. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Great drawings and explanations Brendan... Actually, it's called a 'volute'...

-robert

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Sorry. I've been abbreviating it "lute" for so long I completly forgot that most people don't know what a volute is. :rolleyes: silly me...

14. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Yeah, well I'll let it slide this time... you bein' a moderator and all!! :D

-robert