Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HELP ME

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by offspring fan, Mar 9, 2002.

1. offspring fan

offspring fan Guest

Mar 9, 2002
    England
    I have just started playing bass and i have been looking on this great website and i noticed sum people r talking about slap and pop techniques or sumthing like that and i was wondering what it is?????:confused:

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

The best way to understand slap and pop technique is to see someone doing, (besides learning for yourself). It started as a style of funk bass.

If you can see any video of, or hear recordings by, Marcus Miller, Mark King, Victor Wooten, or Stu Hamm, those are a few of the great slap n' poppers for starters.

Larry Graham is the founding father of slap technique, a percussive, right hand technique where the thumb attacks the string like a drumstick strikes a drum head. If you've ever seen footage of Flea where his extended thumb is flailing away at the strings - that's slapping.

Pops traditionally alternate with thumb slaps. It involves sort of hooking a right finger, usually the index, under a string and snapping it so that it "pops" against the fretboard.

There are instructional videos for the techniques. And places like www.activebass.com have online lessons at no charge for them.

As a beginner, I wouldn't try to get these techniques down yet. They're advanced techniques and require knowing how to have your bass's action properly set up. But eventually you'll find they're considered essential.