Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help me!!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by greasemonkey, Sep 2, 2000.

1. greasemonkey

greasemonkey

Jul 26, 2000
    hello, this is my first time posting in this part of the board, and i have a few questions. i have an old squire P-bass, and the pickups became unattached to the knobs and all that stuff, there's only 2 knobs, but i have no idea where to put the wires back on. i also have a new marcus miller fender, and i think a wire might be loose, because there's no punch to my sound anymore, unless i push down on the cable, then it sounds great, but i dont want to take it apart just yet, because last time i did that to my squire, it stripped like 4 screws, so i'd like to do this just once, and any help would be greatly appreciated

2. If you are going to strip screws undoing them, take the basses into the shop and have someone strip them professionally. At least they'll replace them at their own expense.

:)

Seriously, there's a P bass wiring diagram at http://www.seymourduncan.com in, if I remember rightly, the backstage area. Sounds like your jazz bass has a loose connection at the jack socket. If you are not familiar with a soldering iron, take it in a get it done.

All the best

3. greasemonkey

greasemonkey

Jul 26, 2000
    unfortunately, i am far too familiar with a sodering gun, i had to use it constantly on my squire, but the soder would never hold, but i've bought new stuff, and it seems to be working

4. Forgive me if this is unnecessary, but when you solder:

- use paste..it helps spread the solder
    - tin (cover with solder) both the wire and the surface first.
    - clear off all the old ugly lumps of old solder first.
    - Keep the head of the iron clean and tinned as well.

I use a 40 watt iron. If you are experienced, a 150 watt gun is actually better, but when you are not, you can easily fry components with the gun. I have never upgraded from my 40 watt iron. It does everything I need.