Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help me

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fluffybrick, Oct 14, 2000.

1. fluffybrick

fluffybrick

Jul 22, 2000
    ok, ive been playing bass for about 1/2 a year now and we are going to get a band together and start playing for people. the problem is i have a danelectro nifty seventy amp, its only 15 watts. i want at least 250 watts, more would be nice. i dont really know about all this cab, head, all that stuff i just know amps and i look at how many watts it is. im looking to spend around 600-700 dollars maybe more i dont know. can you help me figure out what to buy. remember, ill i care about is that it has to be 250 or more watts.

2. I'll be the first to start shouting out a bunch of different amps that you should look into. first thing that came into my mind was SWR Workingmans 15. 200 watts (with extension cab.) it normaly runs around $600-700 new but you could find one for less. Peavey gear is really cheep used. you could quite possibly stay in your price range and get a peavey head/cab set up that would be over 200 watts.

3. Laker

Laker

Mar 23, 2000
    How are you determining how much power you need for an amp? I played for many years with a Model T Sunn head and a pair of 18" folded horn bottoms that could overpower any other instrument on the stage and put out some gut thumpin' bottom end. The Sunn was only 100 watts. My amp requirement now is dictated by the speakers that I am using (EA VL210) that are very inefficient and need a lot of power.

Find an amp that sounds good at the volume you want to play at. If it is only for you to hear yourself on stage with a feed to a PA, it is going to give you a different need than running with your sound off the stage only. Are you playing jazz, rock, country, metal, polkas, etc. Each type of music is also going to give you a different requirement for your amp.

4. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Ampeg,Eden,SWR,etc.These are the most popular with good reason.Your best bang for the bucks would be a combo in that price range.Try as many as you can find in your area with YOUR bass.Good luck!

5. And perhaps the Trace Elliot gp715 or gp7215. I agree that wattage isnt all, try a bunch of amps and see what fits.. just dont forget to play at the volume you will need.

6. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I echo the watts thing. Some cabs are more efficient, some have a mid range peak and are perceived to be louder and the other factor is posion or angle as speakers are directional.

One thing that manufacturers do is advertise an amp as being (keep it topical) 250w but thats sometimes into 8 ohms to enable 2 cabs or if its a combo an extension cab.It works out at approx 150w into one speaker.

I like the Trace Elliot 7210 300w into 2 10s I missed it whilst I decided that I did like it.

Happy hunting.