1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help me.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by BassNoobSuomi, Jul 20, 2012.

1. I feel like i suck at bass. Every single damned time i look at my bass, i feel like i got it way too early.
    When i "practice", it doesn't feel like i'm really learning anything because it wears down to random(and crappy) jamming before i notice.
    We won't have a music class at school next year, and i can't seem to find a teacher.
    If anyone can give me tips on making my practice sessions more productive, or anyone willing to teach me in finland within about 1 hour from. Kirkonkylä, Hankasalmi, i would be really happy.

2. Try StudyBass.com It's free of charge (but gladly accepts donations via PayPal). It is very well organized and designed for the beginner.

There are other sources for a beginner bassist without access to a teacher, such as Pfeiffer's Bass Guitar for Dummies (well-regarded despite the title) and the Hal Leonard series authored by Ed Friedland.

It seems there are a lot of Talk Bassers in Finland! Perhaps you can reach out to them for more advice. Playing with someone else is very helpful, too.

3. GypsyMan

GypsyMan

Jun 30, 2011
    Texas
    Well,
    Let's start off with what are you practicing?
    Slow down a bit. You don't have to learn everything today.
    Where are you on scales and chords?
    Where are you on reading sheet music.

There are way better instructors on this forum, so you have some to the right place.

Like the above poster said, www.studybass.com

Here's another good site.
    http://www.cyberfretbass.com/theory/chord-construction/3-note/part-3/page2.php

couldn't agree more, best book on BASS
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0793563836/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00

5. I think Gypsy Man is asking "Are you following any curriculum right now? Do you have a plan for learning the bass? Are you making progress?"

6. No, IMHO I don't feel like i'm makin any process.
    BTW. Being finnish AND 14 y/o I don't understand many words that get thrown around here.

7. I think you are communicating well for a non-English speaker.

You want to learn bass, but feel unhappy with your progress without a teacher or a clear curriculum to follow.

At age 14 you have two great helpers: energy/desire and free time. Use those in your bass playing.

Get a teacher or at least play with friends.

Use some of the learning tools listed above.

Make it a regimen, part of your every day. And you will do well.

8. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    One year is not long to be playing. It is never too early to start learning an instrument. You say you can play be ear, which is a great bonus.

The "Dummies" book and the "Study Bass" web site are really worth checking out.

As for a teacher, perhaps you could see if there are any advertisements in your local music shop, or check out some local sites.

Another good site is :

http://scottsbasslessons.com/

9. Don't really have any. I don't get along with any other people my age. But i don't mind.

Thanks anyway.

10. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland

I assume your ultimate goal in learning bass, is to play in a band ? Unless you want to be a "bedroom bassist".

Getting along with people in a band situation, is almost as important as being proficiant on your instrument. Of all instruments, the bass is generally meant to accompany other instruments.

Playing with others is one of the best ways to learn.