1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help me!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kwesi, Aug 15, 2012.

1. I'm having a new bass built and it's nearing completion but I still cannot decide on a color!

ULtAI.

SURPRISE! IT'S A JAZZ BASS! :D

I've run through a bunch of possible colors in my mind and I've gone all over the internet looking for pic but it'd be great if I could see some pics of jazz basses with figured maple tops and trans finishes from the TB crew.

2. make it white (either ivory or see thru): it will never annoy you. (MVHO)

P.S.: if you will put a pickguard, have it done 1 layer pearloid white. Just to give you a rough idea...

3109KKDtfUL._SL500_SS500_. 4585349119_b13cfac87d.

3. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    Traditional three tone sunburst never goes out of style.

4. I've struggled with the same quandary when thinking about what my next bass will be, so I've collected pictures of finishes I've liked. These aren't all Jazz basses of course, but maybe one of them will strike your fancy.

The Sadowsky site has a bunch of pics in their recently sold NYC and Metro sections, might take a spin through those. I've attached a couple of my favorites. I like the black with and without the pickguard equally... I'd put a white pearl guard on it though. I could see your bass with a clear/translucent finish like the spalt one that makes it just barely a shade or two darker than the fretboard.

I like the finishes on the top three in the next pic because however the guy did them, the grain really pops out in addition to the color. I like the siver-ish over quilt finish the most, wonder what that would look like on your top wood?

The guitar has a finish I've always wanted on a bass, totally awesome IMO.

5sg.

Attached Files:

5. This Pedulla is seriously one of my favorite basses of all time. That deep sapphire blue on that awesome woodgrain... Whew! Again, not a Jazz bass, but if you use your imagination, I could see that color on your bass pretty easily. But then again, blue is my favorite color. And this is a pretty freakin' good looking blue. :)

Lastly, I saw this body on the Warmoth site a while back. I like it because of the blue top, but the body is still the natural color so it gives it an interesting contrast.

5sg.

Attached Files:

6. I like the woodgrain. Keep it natural, not even pickguard.

7. Oh, and I can't tell you how many hours and hours I've spent on the Carvin gallery and the players museum.........

Hope SOMETHING I posted helps! :bassist:

5sg.

8. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Honeyburst!

9. RaginRog

RaginRog Last guy you want to see is Employee Relations guy

Nov 29, 2009
    Formerly Staten Island
    White or black or a tobacco/sunburst. They are classic colors, and for a reason. I love my white Jazz, and because it's aged a bit, it looks great with aged pearl, tort, and/or black pickguards. A nice flamed maple top is nice as well, but I'd stick with earth tones. I would stay away from loud flashy colors...

Who's doing your build?

10. Barca_bass

Barca_bass

May 22, 2011
    Pink like Munji's Lakland?

11. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Oh my. That is some KILLER figuring in that fb. I'd love to see a pic of the top wet w/ naptha or something to show the grain a bit more. With that quilt, I'm tending to agree w/ 5strgecko... a deep blue would be killer. I'd also think a bright green would be nice with that bubbly quilt, a la this Benavente:
    beng95. .

12. Greenburst with a matching 'stock!

13. I have a guitar with a quilt top in transparent orange, and I think it looks sick... here's a stock photo:

img_2046-2_1.

I don't think I'm ever getting rid of that guitar, man. I love it. And the quilt on these isn't even super pronounced, on yours it would look amazing.
    Gassing for a bass in that color now. :D

--Silvie

14. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Nice! I'm a big Lakland fan, and their Hanson guitars are super-cool. I'll get one someday.

BTW, I'm pretty sure the inspiration for that finish is the Markus Orange Lakland Joe Osborn. http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/show-me-your-orange-basses-678695/#post9460603

15. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

The answer is always denimburst.

1709_Carvin_Blue_Flame_Top_1.

16. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    Natural just like it is. Nice bass though!!!

17. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Cary, Il
    Emerald Green

18. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Transblue or Bora Blueburst ala Sadowsky (Wilkins). Pics do not do justice to those finish but in person...

19. patplaysbass

patplaysbass Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 7, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Soon-to-be-ex Musician's Friend/Guitar Center Employee
    The other day I thought the sunset made the sky look like a quilted maple top with a blue dye to cherryburst finish. I think you should do it!

EsHEM.

20. Whatever color you like as long as its transparent enough to see the wood. I'm not huge on blonde or natural basses, but it would be sweet on that.