Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HELP!!!!! Mesa M-Pulse 360!!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tmu, May 30, 2004.

1. tmu

tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    Hi! My Mesa M-Pulse 360, which I bought used a few months ago, suddenly smelt today... anyways, I opened it up and... black stains on the transformer. DAMN!!!!! Am I screwed? the amp still works.. but. The thing didn't smell when I bought it, and I have always been careful to connect a load! What should I do? I don't have the originial receipt, and am in Canada. Will Mesa honor the warranty? Or does the warranty even apply?

2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    That's pretty weird. Did it give any indication sound wise that something was going wrong?

Mesa is usually pretty good with warranty stuff, regardless of whether you have your receipt or not. Did you register it when you bought it?

3. tmu

tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    No indication at all!!! I didn't register it with mesa, because I never had the original receipt, and still don't have it. How much does a new transformer cost?

4. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    New transformers are usually the single most expensive part of any amp.

I would call Mesa on Tuesday to see what they have to say. Rich Duvall will help you out.

5. tmu

tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    What do you think my chances are?

6. tmu

tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    what kind of price range are we talking about otherwise for a repair?

7. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Well, I can't speak for Mesa (not yet, anyway), so I'll leave that up to Rich Duval to make the call. They will have to examine it to determine if it's truly a warrant issue, or if it's something you screwed up.

From what I understand it's pretty hard to mess up a transformer unless you are abusing it. I don't think that any amp manufacturer replaces alot of transformers based on warranty issues. It could even be that there's nothing wrong with your amp, and some heat just caused some plastic in there to melt or something.

8. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I think Boogie's standard bench fee is $50.

9. tmu

tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    Well... I definitely haven't been abusing this amp. I wonder if there wasn't enough clearance inside the SKB rack I was using around the sides? But why would mesa design an amp that would be damaged by an skb case??

10. tmu

tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    ANY idea what a new transformer runs?

11. tmu

tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    Does anyone else have some advice??

12. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey bro, I was having some weird noise when I had my Mesa Mpulse 600. I called up the guys at Mesa, and they told me since I lived in the Bay Area just to bring the amp by and they'd take a look at it. I know this is a different scenario, however, the people are really cool about repairs and warranty stuff. I went to peteluma and never once did they even ask if I bought the amp new. they never asked for a receipt nor did they inquire where I bought the amp. Luckily for me, if I they did ask me, I had all the paperwork and such, but they are really cool about stuff. When I went there, they said just come back in an hour or so and we'll tell you what's up or we'll tell you what we can do. I agreed, but before I left they gave me a tour or the facility. Great people at Mesa. Neat place. Bottom line...Just call and they'll tell you.

13. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I think you're stuck with me bud; sorry.

Typically a new transformer can run $200-$400.

14. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Just call Mesa, my friend. I'm selling everything amp/cab wise that doesn't have that name on it because of their service. I bought a Powerhouse 1x15 (the first run w/out the horn- who needs it?) and on the input it didn't have a washer to hold the 1/4" input in place. Called 'em, and I had 2 of every washer they make in 3 days. No charge. My friend has a Single Rec (loud enough for what we play, especially miked), and the tubes just went out one day during a gig. Only had like 2 songs left, but still. It was only 1 tube I believe, but he called them the next day to see what was up, and because of the situation they gave him the tubes for free. I've called those guys about suggestions for settings, etc.. for my M-Pulse 600, and the real deal between Powerhouse and Diesel cabs, and they'll tell you anything. Just call 'em man. They're there to help.

15. tmu

tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    I really hope they can sort this out for me... has anyone else had problems with their transformer? I have babied this amp!!

16. tmu

tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    sorry to keep bumping, I really appreciate all the advice, but can anyone else offer any advice?

17. tmu

tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    Anyone else dealt with boogie regarding this issue?