1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

HELP!! MESA NOT WORKING!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassplayer9512, Jan 28, 2020.

1. bassplayer9512

bassplayer9512 Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    Just went to fire up my Mesa Prodigy head after sitting for a month or so while waiting for my custom cab to come in. Well last night I got my cab and got it all hooked up and amp warmed up and when i threw the standby switch the mute light came on. This has never happened before to me and it's a very new head to me as well. I powered down and double checked I was in the 4 ohm output which inwas so I tried the other one. Same thing. I hooked up my SWR Bass 350 and it worked wonderfully. I however did not have this cab built for my SWR it is for my Prodigy.

Anyone with amp knowledge have any input?

received_1219785418217701.jpeg

dbase likes this.
  2. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    I don't have any experience with this amp but it does have a "silent recording" option that mutes the power amp allowing you to use only the pre. Are you sure it's not in that mode? Looks like (from searching online images) the mute switch should be centered for normal operation (up is mute, down is the silent mode).

Jim Carr, S-Bigbottom and Bassdirty like this.
  3. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Tell us more about that cab! Looks to have some sort of Eminence Neo speakers?

Reedt2000 likes this.
  4. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    I'm willing to bet that @agedhorse will wander by and share some sage advice.

5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    This. Also, Mesa customer service is stellar in my experience. Call them or contact them via the website and I bet they'll get you straight.

Here's their support page.

Support | MESA/Boogie®

pcake, klejst, DJ Bebop and 2 others like this.
  6. Bassdirty

Bassdirty Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    Wow, I just did a quick search, and looked at the OP photo..I think you are right.
    Well OP, did you try the switch?

Reedt2000 likes this.
  7. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    This is something that the customer service guys are good at sorting out. They have the most experience with this sort of thing. Give them a call.

pcake, AudioTaper, bdplaid and 6 others like this.
  8. bassplayer9512

Sep 26, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    Yeah I double checked the mute switch position while both in and out of stand by and switching back on and off. No luck yet. Talked to Engineered Sound this morning and I'm going to hunt down some other cabs to try before I get too excited about anything.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  9. bassplayer9512

Sep 26, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    Yeah I tried the switch the photo was just a photo from when I set it on top real quick to take a pic.

I have made that mistake before when not paying attention.

10. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    He's a GREAT tech (actually he's an EE), with outstanding troubleshooting skills.

wave rider, bdplaid, DrMole and 2 others like this.
  11. bassplayer9512

Sep 26, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    I could tell from talking to him he was extreme knowledgeable. He said if I find another 4 ohm cab to try it with and no luck bring it on over to him otherwise i may have to schlep my cab along as well so he can get am exact diagnosis

Reedt2000 likes this.
  12. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Whatever he suggests, it's worth the effort.

wave rider, DrMole, DJ Bebop and 3 others like this.
  13. Blind owl bass

Blind owl bass

Apr 13, 2018
    is that a Dually 15 (2x3015)?

bassplayer9512 likes this.
  14. bassplayer9512

Sep 26, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    yes, its 2x15s but using deltalite II speakers no tweeter and 4 circular front ports

kosmicwizard likes this.
  15. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

Hi praise for Engineered Sound. He is a masterful tech.

Try plugging/unplugging effects send / return jacks many times.

DJ Bebop and bassplayer9512 like this.
  16. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    How great is this website? I knew when I saw the title of this thread that agedhorse would quickly be fielding this. And he wasn't in there once... but THREE TIMES... and probably even more by the time this thread plays out.

agedhorse, you're such a fantastic resource. We're fortunate and happy to have you participating. Kudos!

17. MattF007

MattF007

Sep 27, 2019
    Make sure the speaker cord jacks are fully pressed in. If one is not fully pushed in it could engage the load circuit protector and will cause a light to illuminate. This happened to me, thought the speaker cord was fully pushed in but wasn't. Mesa makes reference to this in their manual. Tube amps require a speaker load.

18. bassplayer9512

Sep 26, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    Just tried everything again tonight and still no luck. The only sound I could get it to make was a static crackling once I flipped it back to stand by and the silent rec. light would go out there was a static crackle sound coming through that faded out for a second or so. Looks like it is going to be heading to the shop.

The amp's boost knob has not worked properly since I got the amp, has a volume decrease instead of increase. Almost acts like an input pad. So it needs a service to see if there are some underlying issues. This amp was bought as a blowout from GC that was returned non functioning and their tech tested it for 2 weeks with zero issues and I have only had 1 or 2issues this being the second. The other was a loose power tube after transporting. Made an adjustment on the power tube clamp rings and never had an issue til now.

19. bassplayer9512

Sep 26, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    I know the speaker connection on the cab is a combo jack and Mesa is 1/4". Could this cause any issue? I have never had this cause any issue previously on amps.

20. MattF007

MattF007

Sep 27, 2019
    As long as both are securely attached so the tube head is getting a proper load, tube heads must be run with a load.

Jim Carr likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 27, 2020