1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

help - Mesa Walkabout 1x12 combo (used) vs Fender Bassman TV 1x15 (new)....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pudgychef, Apr 28, 2010.

1. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    Deciding on an amp this week. Basically down to these two:

A used boogie Walkabout. 1x12 version, great shape.

or

One of the new Fender Bassman TV 1x15 combos.

Basically same power. The boogie is a hair lighter and a bit more portable.

I like the tone of both very much. The walkabout seems more versatile to me...as if it is capable of doing what the Fender does and then some.

They are both about a grand Canadian...the Fender is $50 more but comes with the all the fun/warranty etc. of being brand new.

:confused:

is that Boogie overpriced? basically need a semi-pro level combo that is portable enough to one hand and loud enough for small rooms on its own. I feel like I would be happy with either so maybe some other opinions can sway me one way or the other. Were they both brand new I would opt for the Boogie....I am 80% sure of that....;)

The other amp(s) still in the equation is either of the Markbass 1x12 combos, both sound great, are super light but are about $300 more....The extra $300 hurts right now...

advice? ( I was opting for combos just because of the cost savings in my local market - This market seems to be still dominated by Ampeg SVT Pro style heads and big cabs...really wasn't interested in that route so used options were slim) I wanted to want the Traynor DB300 but it lacked body compared to the rest imho.

thanks!
    Adam :)

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    As a devoted Walkabout user for the last 3.5 yrs, I'd have to say Boogie is the way to go. And, a BIG advantage with the Walkabout is, you can remove the head and power a BIG cab for massive sound. BIG.

3. Volume4

Volume4

Sep 15, 2009
    Long Island
    That TV 1X15" sure does sound good, doesn't it?

I'd still get the Mesa....if one of the two is going to be my main or only amp. It's just more amp

The TV 1X15" sounded real good playing old school Motown through it though. But if thats not your main concern.....Mesa.

4. The WA is a classic IMO.

5. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    yeah..sounded great with a P a 'ray and a Jack Casady...but I am leaning towards the Mesa for the reason you mentioned...

6. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I have a Mesa/Boogie and I can't imagine using another amplifier. For the first time in 30+ years of bass playing, the audience is coming up between sets and complimenting me on my tone. The Fender is attractive, but M/B kills.

7. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal

The tone is subjective (and I haven't heard the Bassman) , but this is one huuuuuge practical advantage IMO.