1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help! MF SnD Ibanez ATK, "Sitar" Sound, A-String?!!??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SabreChris, Mar 23, 2009.

1. SabreChris

SabreChris

Mar 19, 2009
    Just got a Sratch n Dent Ibanez ATK from Musicians Friend. $500 for an Ibanez ATK 750qm Antique Burst.

Visual inspection shows a factory finish flaw on the lower horn. There appears to have been some putty used at the intersection of the maple top and the body. There is an area about a square centimeter, under the clear coat, of a body-colored putty. I am pretty sure this would have made this "B" stock if caught by Ibanez, but it was sold to me as a SnD. I can probably live with this as it saves me $200.

The BIG problem is that there is a fundamental flaw in the tone of the A-string. I am a 20 year guitar player and dont have much experience with basses. It sounds like a wonky sitar sound when played open and in the first 9 frets. (Sitar sound decreases gradually towards 9th fret.)

Inspecting the string does not show any rattle or contact with frets. This is not fret rattle. Also as it happens with freted notes so I dont believe it is a problem with the nut. It appears that there is some weird fundamental resonance coming from somewhere in the guitar. Putting my ear against the guitar I hear it through the length. At the head stok it is more trebly or raspy (maybe louder) and in the body it is deeper, so Im not sure exactly where it is coming from.

any suggestions?

Only thing I can think is that the bass is complete junk or there is a defective string.

2. SabreChris

SabreChris

Mar 19, 2009
    The buzzing sound is really noticeable, not faint. The buzz is louder than the underlying note.

3. bassistgook

bassistgook

Feb 5, 2009
    I would call up the MF customer service and tell them your problem and send it back. I did this before and they will even email you something to print out so you don't have to pay for the shipping. They might even be able to give you the same deal on a brand new one if they don't have any more snd's in stock. Hope this helps.

4. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    sounds like the winding may have come loose from the core of the string,
    it could be worth it to try a new string if no further investigation pans out.

5. SabreChris

SabreChris

Mar 19, 2009
    Thats what I'm hoping it is.

If I fret at the 22nd fret and play the not on both sizde of where it is fretting, I hear the louder buzzing on the nut size, but there is buzzing still evident on the bridge side too.

Its either some weird resonance in the guitar or a bad string.

6. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Again, SEND IT BACK AT THEIR EXPENSE AND BLOW IT OFF.

It's a lemon. Get rid of it and move on with your life.

7. It could be an improperly-shaped string saddle at the bridge, which is fairly easy to confirm and fix.

A longshot: I've also had a similar issue happen because of a slightly loose edge of a pickguard that was vibrating from the resonance. I figured that one by pressing down on various parts of the pickguard while plucking the strings.

8. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    If the nut slot is cut too low and the neck is set up without much relief, sympathetic vibrations can cause the string to buzz against the frets between the nut and the fret that you're actually fretting on. Try sticking something--even just a little heavy construction paper--into the nut slot to raise the string up a little bit and see if the buzzing goes away.

Mike