Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by danielguerra, Oct 23, 2005.

1. damn the les paul custon of mny guitarist just broke in the neck, the wood is completely separated, can it be fixed or is it ready for the trash?? please help
  2. aren't gibson instruments set neck? i am not sure that you can fix them...yikes...well, i'll take the body :) make sure to include the pickups, bridge, etc... ;)
  3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Les Pauls do like to break at the headstock.

A good repair person can fix the damage...but I'd stress finding a qualified tech.
  4. The Eristic

The Eristic Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Cartersville, GA
    A good repairman can make it more stable than it was before.
  5. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    sad to hear :-(

but this shows how good the quality are on Gibson guitars
  6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Its more of a design flaw in the original LP design. They've been breaking at the headstock since god invented them way back in 8697698 BC.
  7. I thought God invented Telecasters...Les Pauls, if I can recall, are the spawn of Satan.
  8. Rene

Mar 8, 2004
    How can you judge the quality of a guitar when you drop it.
    There is no company that will guaranty an instrument that you drop. I have never seen a neck from Gibson breaking just by looking at it or taking it in your hands.
    It is alwways the company's fault, isn't it not the negligence of people. Usely when you pay $3000.00 for a guitar, you take care of it.
    Gibson guitars are the pioneer in the making and the quality of their instruments is and has always been there
  9. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas

That's true, though. Isn't it something to do with the tilt-back design of the headstock?
  10. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    It's mostly becaue it's always been a weak glue joint.
  11. Rene

Mar 8, 2004
    There is no weak glue joint or a bad angle of the head top.
    This guitar is made with an heavy body and when you drop it on the head top, at the back, the grain of the wood is cut long and the weight of the body makes it snap
    So nothing is weak or of poor quality, but only the guitar is made this way and needs care like any other musical instrument
  12. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    One of my buddies broke his when it slipped off a guitar stand... a bit of glue and a good tech, and it was repaired, still isn't the same to this day though, he bought another one since.
  13. FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    I'm with whatever Rene says. I'm to old and tired to argue this one.

14. ahhh...the old..."It just isn't the same, anymore. Looks like I'll have to buy a new one"...excuse...

I scratched a car just didn't run the same after that...had to get a new one...bummer... :rolleyes:
  15. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I wouldn't jump to that conclusion. We don't know what happenned...

Like others have said, it's repairable. Not as easy as a bolt on would be, but still not ready for scrap.
  16. my guitarist step dad is a cabinet maker by trade, and the other guitarist in our band neck snapped and just just used some wood glue alot of pre and clamps and it seems like new to the owner. it looks ok but they just droped a new fret in without dressing it in any way which I think is a mistake but ohwell
  17. Hiscock's book has a good discussion of this. You start with a neck that's pretty darn narrow at the nut and only an inch or so deep at its thickest point. Not a whole lot of wood there. THEN you carve out a cavity for the truss-rod nut, removing a substantial amount of wood in the process. Not much left over. Hiscock also points out that some older Rickenbackers with dual truss rods had an even bigger problem because the truss-rod access cavity was so large.

Having said that, did danielguerra's guitar break at the headstock or somwhere else? I have an LP Custom and would be interested to know; in my youth I saw guys who would push their LPs' necks forward to momentarily de-tune them (kind of like a dive-bomb, but not nearly as deep). Never saw one break!
  18. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    I do that with my basses. Necks are a lot tougher than most people realize. Haven't you guys seen that pic of a dude standing on a Warwick neck perched between 2 chairs? I did that with one of the crappy necks I built, so I know it's not fake.

Back to the subject, it should be repairable, but I'd bring it to a professionnal, especially if it's an older gibson and is fairly valuable.
  19. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

I'm no luthier but if they can patch Jaco's fragmented girfriend beater back together, this sounds doable.

Depending on the value, the qualified repair aspect is significant. Regardless, it would be far better to have a broken neck with a clean break than to have a guitar that's intact with a botched repair job. Something really valuable would need a comparable repairman. Not just for the quality but for resale. You need to be up front come sale time and you really don't want to have a vintage LP repaired by Bob's Dad's Cabinet Shop (no disrespect to cabinet/former cabinet makers by the way).
  20. Ah, the patented Gibson Auto-Eject headstock....

love those. Have a good tech glue it back together, touch up the finish, and call it a day. it'll be fine.