Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help! Might a 1-pc-neck ABG have a truss rod?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Frank Martin, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Hi!

So I just got my new toy... mothing special, just a chepo ABG... well, actually, I got it this morning, but I've had a few technical difficulties... There were really thin strings on it (I dont know what they were... they even had real small ball ends :confused: ) and when I tuned up and streched them a bit, two strings broke :rollno:
    I spent the rest of the day looking for ABG strings... Well, now I found some D'Adadarios...

So the question is: when I took off the strings and looked inside, I could see something that resembled a truss rod in the body end of the neck. Anyone with a 1-piece-neck ABG can confirm that it might be that?
    Thanks!

2. Most ABG's, even cheap ones, have truss rods. Some are accessible at the headstock, but lots are accessible through the soundhole, just like most acoustic guitars.

My question is, what exactly do you mean by a "one piece neck"?

Mike

3. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Thanks for the reply, Mike!

One-piece neck as the neck is made of one single piece of maple (not laminated as my others are like maple-maple-maple 3-piece or ovangkol 5-piece) with an acacia FB.

4. Ah! In that case, the "one piece" doesn't really have any bearing on whether or not it has a truss rod, since the vast majority of basses and guitars have "one piece" necks by that definition. I was thinking that maybe it might be some odd construction technique like a Mexican guittaron or something...

Your truss rod is almost certainly accessible through the soundhole, then.

Mike

5. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Thanks, Mike!

Sorry for these late replies, but I'm setting it up meanwhile.
    Now it's strung up... :)
    Didn't want to put too much tension on it right now, so it's BEAD with an EADG set - yet it sounds quite alright :smug:
    The 2nd fret buzzes badly, so I'll have to adjust the neck sometime. I'll try to find out what size wrench is necessary.
    Pics tomorrow ;)