1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help: MIJ 62 Reissue

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DaRK_CaRNiVaL, Nov 30, 2006.

1. DaRK_CaRNiVaL

DaRK_CaRNiVaL

Sep 13, 2005
    Australia
    I am looking at getting a MIJ 62 Jazz reissue so i just had a few questions about them.

1. How much different is the tone from say a MIM standard jazz?

2. With the truss rod requiring you to take off the neck, is it likely that the screws will strip? - Is it hard to take off the neck yourself?

2. Does it have a good slap tone?

3. If the pickups are the japan ones and not the USA vintage, are they still better quality than MIM pickups?

A lot of questions :p
    The reason i am comparing with MIM is that i was considering buying an MIM new compared to a used MIJ.

thanks

2. Soma666

Soma666

Aug 27, 2006
    i'd get the MIJ *nods*

3. pty-rock

pty-rock

Jul 31, 2006
    Panama
    From personal experience, I can answer the following:

dont know, never tried an MIM.
    No to both questions.. I have done both many times for the original ser-up and other changes and it's as easy as taking off 4 screws and using a BIG Phillips head screw driver for the truss rod.

INCREDIBLE SLAP TONE..
    Here I cannot help since I bought mine with EMG-j's active.

4. DaRK_CaRNiVaL

DaRK_CaRNiVaL

Sep 13, 2005
    Australia
    Thanks a lot for the replys :)

At least one of my concerns have been answered and thats the neck adjustments.

I am looking at a jazz because I want some versatility in terms of tone. I mainly play alternative (for now) like: Interpol, the Strokes, RATM.

The only thing is i dont know the differences in tone between a 62' reissue, 75' reissue, and standard.

5. I have a 62.

The pickups are definately better than the MIM's, even the newer model MIM's with the upgrades. The MIJs are "more vintage" sounding if that helps, where I find the MIMs to be a little more aggressive and modern.
    I have one of each.

Unfortunately I haven't tried the 75' reissue, but I'd imagine they're a little bit brighter if they stick to standard pickup placement for the time.

6. DaRK_CaRNiVaL

DaRK_CaRNiVaL

Sep 13, 2005
    Australia
    I dont mind a more vintage sound. As long as its still got that J tone and its usable for the same sort of music as a standard its all good.

I was just having a look at some pricing brand new MIA Jazz 62' reissue costs $2800AUD :p

7. Soma666

Soma666

Aug 27, 2006
    i have the '75 RI. it sounds a lot more vintage than my brand new MIM jazz. i like the CIJ '75 much better becoz of its growl factor.

here a thing. i ripped the stock MIM pickups out coz they werent good enough and replaced them with Dimarzio ultra jazz pickups. sounds incredible now, however, the '75 RI CIJ is still my number one bass simply becoz of its feel and playability. sound on it is still nice an growly and vintage. and if your playing stuff like the strokes, interpol (rosemary, heaven restores u in life....yeah :) ) and RATM, i'd say definately go a re-issue over a brand new on anyday