Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help-Modulus side marker 'mod'

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Arthur U. Poon, Jun 22, 2004.

1. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I noticed for the last few weeks that I frequently have problems seeing the side dot makers on my Quantum-4 especially on poorly lit stages. To make matters worse The neck has no front dot markers, even worse I wear bifocals-ouch! :eek: New prescription, by the way.
    Is there a way to make a larger, non-permanent dot marker out of a bright colored material? Is there a non permanent tape or something that I can easily remove when I want to?

Thanks, -A.P.

2. The first thing that comes to mind is something like a pearl white nail polish.

Mike

3. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Yeah, that would work, but I'd like something that could be easily removed. I'm hoping there's a material that's slightly adhesive and brightly colored. I would'nt doubt 3M makes something along those lines.

Thanks for your suggestion. -A.P.

4. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    You could try that "medium strength" blue masking tape that luthiers use when they're sealing of an area of the bass to protect it while another area is being worked on. You might ask the Luthier's Forum if they are aware of a light-adhesive tape that would stick to the side of your bass but would still peel away relatively easily without damaging the finish. It might look a bit "dorky" (kinda' like how young string players mark positions on orchestra instruments), but is should be effective. ;)

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Im sure you could find some glow in the dark stickers or tape.

If you can try to make them oversized like block inlays.

There's also the option of LEDs on your next bass.

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    go to an office store, and look for dot stickers. Or stars, or whatever. That would be the best option, IMHO.

7. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8

Well, well, well someone must have another side to them :).

Just kidding, that idea seems the smartest.

8. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Great idea! Thanks to everyone who responded. -A.P.

9. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    I had a Modulus Q5 for a number of years, and I used some glow in the dark stickers of planets that my sister used on her ceiling. As long as they got some light before hand they worked great and came off the neck without any trouble.
    Cheap and effective!

10. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    I once used a glow-in-the-dark acrylic paint to outline an entire guitar (ran a bead of paint around the body, pickguard, pickups, headstock, knobs, etc) and covered the dots on the fretboard as well. Now, if the surface underneath is smooth and glossy (and Modulus necks are that) acrylic paint can be peeled off like rubber later. If you go this route just test a dot on the neck beforehand, should work like a charm.

I offer this as alternative to the nasty stickum that stickers can leave behind, 'specially if it's hot where you're playing.

YMMV and I am not responsible for what you do to your Modulus =0) but it really did work for me. Peeled off later with nary a scratch to the guitar.