Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help! Monitor Q's for gig in two hours!

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by the elephant, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Okay, so this will get moved. I am posting here because there are more users in here that in the Amp section at the moment. And I need some feedback right now.

I have a club gig tonight and CAN NOT use my wife's Accord to lug my rig. I have to take my much smaller, soft top Jeep! EGAD!

I was wondering whether I could run my upright through my Peavey Microbass practice amp. I think that is has plenty of punch for our vocal/keys/bass trio.

It has that DDT compression thing that prevents blowing the speaker. Will I be sorry? Will it sound horrible with an upright? It is very clean sounding and LOUD for its size and wattage. And the room is pretty small.

Just needing some QUICK feedback.

Thanks!!

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    It depends on how loud the gig is. It won't sound the greatest if all you're hearing is amp, but if it is just for some support it'll be fine. I've used the same amp for a slight boost and considered buying one for gigs that are too loud for the bass but not loud enough to drag out alla my stuff.

3. Thanks for the info. I was hoping to use it in line as a monitor while plugged into the mains. But it only has a line in and a phone jack.

While this is a wonderful little practice amp and might work as my onstage rig for really small stuff, I think that my regular one will have to fit now that I have tried it out. It seems unable to cope too well with the upright tone – open low E's seem to upset it at the needed volume. It is just fine with my 5 string EB all the way to the low B. If I were to play in my trio in tonight's room with my EB I would do it fine (is that because it is active?).

I will just strap that bad boy to the hood and roll on to the gig. Oh well. I need some casters anyway. Maybe I will spring for one of those great little rolling amps that All Hail Bob sells. Any one have any experience with these?

Thanks again, Ray!

4. The real question is how do you fit your bass in an Accord in the first place? :)

5. mrpc

mrpc Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    I have used my Peavy Microbass (one 8" speaker, 30 watts) on very small gigs as a personal monitor. Does the job very well, if the room is bass friendly.