HELP! (music future?)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Pesticle, Mar 12, 2003.

1. I was just thinking about the future and i know i want to be a musician for a living. I was curious if anyone here could give me some optioins i have right when i get out of high school. I really want to get into a musicians union playing bass,and i was wondering what exactly i would need to do to get accepted into a union. Also, im a junior in high school and my grades havent been amazing because sometimes i have slacked off so i doubt i can get into a college that i need a 4.0 or something, but my act and meap and such test scores are very high. (i will not slack off when it comes to music though, ive been bassing for about 1 year and i am currently playing marcus miller solos. I have worked so extremely hard, and i will work hard in a music school) I was also curious as to what else i could do other than a college, are there any summer programs or something of the sort that just require money? Thanks to anyone who responds to any of these questions

your friend,

2. Regardless of your future options, you should get yourself a good teacher, especially as you are obviously very enthusiastic about bass. Learn all the theory, learn to read fluently, learn as many songs and styles as you can, and get out and jam at jam nights or open mic nights as much as possible. Enjoy your music, be a good guy to be around, and opportunities will come your way. Music school is not a necessary requirement to being a pro bassist, a good teacher can achieve the same results. And dont forget to eat your greens.:D
  3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Do you read music? Can you play many styles? Do you understand harmony? Can you play by ear? Walk basslines?

There are many options. You've got to be qualified. The only thing you've got to do to be accepted into the union is pay your dues - but the union will NOT get you gigs.