help muting my p bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Rowan_Jazz_Head, Feb 4, 2004.

1. I am after that sorta soul sound. I am half way there with my P bass but I really want to put some foam on it to mute it. In order to do this do I need to get a bridge cover and fit the foam under it, if not how else do I do it?
  2. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    You should be able to just take a strip of foam (or similar substance) and wedge it just under the strings where they cross the saddles down into the bridge. Also, you could find one of the old string-mute mechanisms that Fender used to include on thier early jazz basses, and I believe that someone (Fodera, perhaps) makes a "modern" version of this type of string mute. Check the Fodera site for info in this product if you're looking for something more "legitimate" than a strip of foam jammed under the strings. Good luck! ;)

3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    My personal favorite method is to take a 99 cent kitchen sponge and cut off a strip and wedge it under the strings by the bridge. Nice vintagey sound but may throw off intonation and tuning a bit, nothing that can't be fixed.
  4. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    There's a different kind of mute you can screw in for each string seperately, or what I used was a polishing rag folded up and stuck it in at the bridge, (not a long term fix, I was just doing one Jamerson cover).
  5. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I like the "foam under the strings" method. You may need to experiment to find the right thickness, but you won't need to worry about tuning or intonation changes as you would with a sponge, which is probably too stiff.

If you work on your technique, you can also mut with the side of your hand resting on the strings and play with your thumb. It works well and you can control the amount of muting, but you may give up speed or the ability to play complicated lines.

6. A year old set of nickel flatwounds on an alder bodied P will get you along way towards the classic soul sound. Muting and ghost noting with your fretting hand helps alot too. YMMV
  7. Markdezy

Jan 24, 2004
    I always used those 99 cent scrunchy hairbands right near the nut on mine. Seems to work well for slap.
  8. If you use foam rubber or a sponge, if your strip is triangular in cross section you'll have an easier time.
  9. hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
  10. natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Awesome! New toy to add to the "when I've got extra cash" list.
  11. Gsxtasy99

Jul 10, 2003
    Boston, MA
    i have a bass-mute. I got it in december and couldn't be happier. It's really not that hard to get, i sent Ellio Martina an email, and faxed him a credit card. It took about 2-3 weeks to come, but it was worth it. It looks like it came on the bass and is very sturdy.

It is a black 6-string mute, on my elrick.
  12. I use a chunk of mousepad folded in half and wedge under the strings by the bridge. folding it puts just the right amount of pressure on the strings to mute them.
  13. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    you're going to get better results over in the setup forum, so i'll move this over there now.