1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

HELP!! MXR Distortion + or DOD 250

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mrsquishy, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Hi I know this is quite a dumb question but I'm pondering between these two reissue pedals. Which works better on an active Sterling and which does a better job for a subtle distortion, without much loss of the lows. And of course which is a better buy!

Cheers

2. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    Vista, CA
    It's the same circuit. There might a be a few component values differences between the two.

3. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    The only real difference is that the MXR has an on/off indicator light and the DOD DODoesn't.

4. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    I see what you did there!

5. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    I was hoping someone would........

6. jucas

jucas

Dec 14, 2003
    Alberta
    Yeah, I don't know if they're really going to sound much different... but, I remembered a thread from a while back with some sterling into DOD 250 clips that the burgermeister posted.

Doesn't really help, but I really like this circuit and thought I'd add some filler to the thread. My take on the OD250 and lows is that they aren't terrible until you turn up the gain. There's room for improvement, but I find it tollerable at low gain even with the stock circuit.

7. ocoaibass

ocoaibass

Jan 9, 2010
    You can swap the 4558 op amp for a 1458 if you want tighter lows, more output, as well as change out a couple of caps & resistors for more gain & more bass. See indyguitarist's mod book.

Stock they are ok if you keep the gain down. They roll off bass as the gain is increased.