1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help My Abnormal Warped Neck!!!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by thomgun_lc, Mar 7, 2008.

1. thomgun_lc

thomgun_lc

May 21, 2007
    Hi guys, i have a little problem about my Fender Precision Neck, my neck have a problem which make me confuse:ninja:
    1st - 12th fret the string action are low enough, but after 12th fret the string action become high.
    Is it a twisted neck?:crying::crying:
    I Try to set truss rod, but it difficult to get low action string. Low action only work for 1st-12th fret, but not for 12th -22th fret.:rollno:
    Please give ur opinion how to repair my neck.
    Thx

2. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    Is it the same on all the strings? and remember, when describing strings the "first" string is actually the highest (G in standard)

3. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Doesn't sound like your neck is abnormal or warped, just that you don't know how to set the relief of your bass. There's a lot of resources here to tell you how to set-up your bass properly in the "setup and repair" forum. If its still too difficult for you to understand, then take it to a tech.

4. thomgun_lc

thomgun_lc

May 21, 2007
    Thx four your opinion guys. :bassist:
    I had tried to bring my bass guitar to the local luthier in my country. He said that my bass guitar have abnormal warped neck:rollno:. When he turn the trus rod, it is working only for the 1st-12th fret (see from the last fret to headstock on the 4th string).He have tried to lower the saddle bridge and sanding some fret which make a buzzing sound. And he said that there is no way to make a good relief for my neck. :crying:
    If you see from the edge of 4th string you will noticed that from 1st fret until 12th, the neck relief flat enough, after 12th fret neck relief become valley and raise up start from 19th fret. So, if i tighten the truss rod and lowering the saddle, it will make a buzzing sound when i play 14th-22th fret:bawl:. Any idea?
    Do you have a picture of twisted neck or warping neck?thx:hyper:

5. pieter

pieter

Jan 1, 2008
    I have neck that is doing the exact same thing.It's a 68 Precision that was strung up for years with a .110 gauge E string and tuned too high(I'm not the original owner).The dip is in the exact same place as yours.To make matters worse it is a round laminated fingerboard(very thin) so leveling the fingerboard is close to impossible.

The only thing you can try is take it to a luthier.He would remove the nut and frets,loosen the truss rod,then heat the fingerboard.After the fingerboard is warm enough he will clamp the neck into an upbow and let the neck cool.After that he'll refret and hopefully the neck will straighten out.