Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help, my Amb/Cab make a strange sound (Soundfile attached)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by flea2010, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Hi everyone

I have a problem with my amp/cab (SWR 350x + SWR Goliath 4x10)

Depending on how the cable sits in the input-jack, the box makes snorring sounds. Only with the deeper tons, it could be maybe the horn, the more I cut the treble, the less it snores.

I have recorded it, I really would be glad if you would listen to it and give me some advice (~ 350 KB)

amp_kaputt.mp3

As you may here only the deeper tones have this sound, the higher don't.
    (It sound as if the recording is distorted, but this is exactly the sound which is my problem)

When I move the cable a littler bit, the sound sometimes disapeares.

:help: :help: :help:

Thank you very, very much,
    F*

PS: please excuse my bad english ...

2. First, change the battery if you have one, then use a different cord. Then put your hand on the grill or handles or anything else that might be loost.

3. Do you mean the battery in the bass?

I have tried with two different basses and with different cables, the result is the same.

I don't think anyhing might be loose, maybe I have to unscrew the grid and get my hands on the speakers ...

4. Yes, I meant the battery in your bass. Are you totally sure that the sound is coming from the speaker? Have you tried to recreate the sound in a different room? Is that recording made with a mic or did you record direct, if direct, how did you do it?

5. brooklynbassguy

brooklynbassguy Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2004
    maplewood, nj, usa
    Perhaps try gently pushing the speaker, without the amp on, or attached. Listen and feel for any kind of binding or scratchiness. If so your speaker is blown, and needs to reconed. Not a big deal. If not then it's in your amp, and then you need a professionals' help.

6. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Try to work the sound into your act. :D

Seriously, check your input jacks on the cabinet first Then try plugging one of the unused jacks (if you have one) with something like a an earplug to see if that stops it. If not, check your grill for tightness. Then make sure your speakers are mounted securely to the baffle board.

I had that happen once when the speaker wire inside the cab came loose and was resting on a speaker frame. if all else fails, it may be a speaker going bad. That's the worst case scenario.

7. Okay, thanx all.

I'm out of the office in half an hour, than I can try out, what you have told me.

I will tell you any results.

Regards,
    F****

PS: @wurmhole: the recording is made with a microphone

8. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    It's sounds to me like either you've got a bass that when you turn the volume full up, it overldrives the preamp inside the bass, or that your speaker is blown. Try changing batteries in the bass first, and if that doesn't work, try to turn down your volume on the bass itself. I have a bass that does the same thing if I turn the volume up all the way when I have it turned to active (mine has a push-pull active switch). If neither of these work, then I think it's a speaker issue.

9. bassisgood

bassisgood

Dec 19, 2005
    Your speaker is blown, I had a powerhouse 215 brand new at a friends house and I left it there over night, when I returned for pactise the next day the bottom driver was blown. I took it in and they replaced it on warranty, I traded for a ampeg svt410hlf. I would say speaker is done. Just get into a punk band and you wont need to worry at all!