Help my band select a setlist

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Aaron Saunders, Aug 21, 2004.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Alrighty, the band I'm in right now was doing a selection of classic rock covers.

When I joined, the setlist was this:
    Paint it Black- The Rolling Stones

Let It Be- The Beatles

Crazy On You- Heart

Shook Me All Night Long- Ac/Dc

Baba O'Reilly- The Who

The End- The Beatles

Can't Touch This- MC Hammer

And two untitled originals.

Our band is:
    Lead Gtr. - Evan
    Rhythm Gtr - Matt
    Vocalist - Syd
    Me (bass)
    Drummer - Graham

Ok, now Evan leaves for university this weekend, so he's out of the band. Matt will then take over lead, and we've got a guy named Luke coming in to take over rhythm guitar. I replaced their original bassist recently, and I only know the basslines to Baba O'Reilly, The End, Paint It Black, and Shook Me All Night Long. The new rhythm guitarist (Luke) is apparently pretty good and does a fair Tom Morello. Because of the loss of Evan and the old bassist (also named Matt) and their replacements (Luke and myself), any original music is going to sound very different, and because our styles are so different than those of the people we're replacing, Matt and I have discussed tossing out everything but The End and Crazy On You (I can fake my way through this one until I come up with a bassline that'll serve well). Both of us are entirely and totally in favour of this, since we really aren't losing anything. Classic rock covers aren't exactly my bag, or Graham's, Matt's, or Luke's. Oh, and Can't Touch This was never actually tightened up enough to play live anyway. I know Graham'll be all for it too.

What I need from you fine ladies and fellows at TB are suggestions for new covers! Rock isn't out of the question at all, but we're no longer limited to classic rock, and Graham and I are chomping at the bit to branch out some. The originals have a kind of prog sound, so I was listening to a lot of Rush earlier. They definitely sounded like a nice way to bridge the gap between the covers we WERE doing and the originals they wrote before I got there. One problem is that Rush songs are, quite simply put, often really freakin' hard. What I'm asking of y'all is for some of the...less insanity-inducing Rush songs, and other similar tunes that I could propose to the band. Any and all help will be very much appreciated!
  2. My favorite "not-so-insane" Rush covers to play are

New World Man
    Time Stand Still
    Tom Sawyer
    Distant Early Warning
    Workin' Man
    Passage to Bangkok
    Roll the Bones

My bands are primarily original but I love to pull out some obscure covers now and then partly in tribute to our influences and partly to watch the excitment level of the crowd jump 110% when they all go : "WOW!! I havent heard this song in awhile, let alone anyone covering it!!"

Much success to ya!
  3. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Definity do a Rush cover, a Primus cover, and Faith No More cover, and a Black Sabbath cover. I would love to see a band in my college town do something like that, but they all suck!
  4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    My Generation - The Who
    Sweet Leaf/Iron Man/NIB medley - Black Sabbath
    John the Fisherman - Primus
    Spirit of Radio - Rush
    Possum Kingdom - Toadies
    Tuesday's Gone - Lyndyrd
    Elephant Riders/Ghost/Mob Goes Wild - Clutch
    Under Pressure/Ice Ice Baby - Queen and Vanilla Ice