HELP My Bass is too HOT

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jazzy bass man, Sep 13, 2005.

1. I own a spector legend 4
    and a Ampeg BA115

When I plug the legend into the amp even when I turn the gain down I can't get the sound I want without the amp distorting.

Any Suggestions?
  2. is there an option for a padded input ? ( active/passive button )

if it doesnt work, turn the volume down on your bass or lower the pickups a bit
  3. freakbass

freakbass "Pile-drivingly Heavy" since 1983

or get a volume pedal :-/
  4. ...or lower the pickups.
  5. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Yeah, what Mohawk said...your amp should have a padded input jack or a switch (-15db). Unpadded is best meant for passive basses, padded for actives.
  6. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

The Ampeg BA115 has a -15Db input that should make your bass sound at a decent volume without distorting. I assume you're plugging the instrument there. If it doesn't work, I'd take the amp to a technician for checking the speaker (maybe the cone is uncentered). Another option would be to replace your bass' battery.
  7. yes I am plugging into the -15db thanks though.

I am going to try the batts and the pickups right now, hope this works. :smug:
  8.'re not distorting your amp...your clipping your batteries needed
  9. Well, if it is the amp's problem... Get a new amp. I suggest a Yorkie. I played an Ampeg BA115, and I was totally NOT impressed :spit: . Boo on Ampeg for this "travisty"

Hey, I'm entitled to my own opinion.

10. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    As much as I liked my BA-115 back in the two weeks I had it, I can pretty much safely say that it's not your problem. 18V preamp?
  11. thanks since this is a problem that has just developed and seems to be getting worse, I'm fairly confident that the batts are the problem.

9 volt preamp though, tplyons

Unfortunately I have no money too buy a new amp, even though the BA115 isn't the best.