Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HELP My Bass is too HOT

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jazzy bass man, Sep 13, 2005.

1. I own a spector legend 4
    and a Ampeg BA115

When I plug the legend into the amp even when I turn the gain down I can't get the sound I want without the amp distorting.

Any Suggestions?

2. is there an option for a padded input ? ( active/passive button )

if it doesnt work, turn the volume down on your bass or lower the pickups a bit

3. freakbass

freakbass "Pile-drivingly Heavy" since 1983

or get a volume pedal :-/

4. ...or lower the pickups.

5. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Yeah, what Mohawk said...your amp should have a padded input jack or a switch (-15db). Unpadded is best meant for passive basses, padded for actives.

6. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

The Ampeg BA115 has a -15Db input that should make your bass sound at a decent volume without distorting. I assume you're plugging the instrument there. If it doesn't work, I'd take the amp to a technician for checking the speaker (maybe the cone is uncentered). Another option would be to replace your bass' battery.

7. yes I am plugging into the -15db thanks though.

I am going to try the batts and the pickups right now, hope this works. :smug:

8. batteries....you're not distorting your amp...your clipping your preamp...new batteries needed

9. Well, if it is the amp's problem... Get a new amp. I suggest a Yorkie. I played an Ampeg BA115, and I was totally NOT impressed :spit: . Boo on Ampeg for this "travisty"

Hey, I'm entitled to my own opinion.

~Ryan

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    As much as I liked my BA-115 back in the two weeks I had it, I can pretty much safely say that it's not your problem. 18V preamp?

11. thanks since this is a problem that has just developed and seems to be getting worse, I'm fairly confident that the batts are the problem.

9 volt preamp though, tplyons

Unfortunately I have no money too buy a new amp, even though the BA115 isn't the best.