1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

HELP! My bass just stopped working

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by OblivionBass, Apr 22, 2006.

1. OblivionBass

OblivionBass

Jul 3, 2005
    I was at a band practice and we were recording music. After we record a few songs, i put down my bass and go to listen to the recording (I turned off the amp). When I go back, i pick up the bass, turn on the amp, and nothing. It was working perfectly fine 2 minutes before, and then suddenly nothing. I have a lakland 44-02, and it has a push/pull-active/passive knob, so when i pull the knob out, it should play passive. I know its not an amp problem because i tried the amp with another bass, same with the cable. I replaced the battery, and still nothing. The passive does not even work, so i dont think it has anything to do with the active electronics.

Does anyone have any idea of what the problem could be? This is the first time I've ever run into a real problem
    :help:

(if this is the wrong section, sorry!)

2. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Open er up and check if the wires are connected? (sounds stupid, I know)

3. OblivionBass

OblivionBass

Jul 3, 2005
    I did, and everything seemed in working order. I dont know my tech stuff, but there was a small black box inside. the backside was sticky, and i seemed to be ungluing itself from the side which its stuck to. That seems to be the only thing strange, and I dont think its really something that would stop my bass from working. (I got my bass used, I've had it for half a year now)

4. Puru

Puru

Mar 13, 2006
    Alachua, Florida
    The same thing happened to me on a Washburn XB400. Just went dead during a break.
    After trying different things, I finally concluded the onboard preamp died, so I pulled it out, stuck in some P bass pots I had in my drawer and use it as a passive bass - decided to put my money into an outboard pre instead. Now I don't have to worry about batteries, and the bass sounds fine. This is not a recommendation, just my experience. Good luck.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Input jack?