Help my bass keeps dropping out of tune!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sharp_19, May 22, 2003.

1. sharp_19

May 22, 2003
    My Bass keeps dropping out of tune past the 5th fret!! ive reset the intonation and it was fine for about 10 mins then did it again!! Why is this??
  2. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    mmm... did you just put on new strings?
    If so pull on em... and retune em... rinse repeat a few times... then tune.. and it should be a bit better...
  3. sharp_19

May 22, 2003
    No, the strings are not new, theyve been on about a month, could they just need replacing?
  4. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Maybe we need to clarify terms just a bit, so we know for sure what the problem is. "Tuning" is what you do when you turn the tuners to make the string tighter or looser--it makes the basic pitch of the string go lower or higher. "Intonation" is adjusting the bridge saddles so that notes higher on the neck are also in tune when you tune the open strings.

"Tuning" can go out over the course of a few minutes if it's not done properly, but "intonation" does not really change unless you change strings or bridge settings.

Which one of these are you doing?

5. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    If this is your first problem with intonation like that with your bass then it's probably your strings. I'd get a new set, tune and intonate them and see how they hold in tune past the fifth fret. If it's a continued problem, you might possibly need your frets crowned, or there's another setup issue that can't easily be diagnosed online by someone who can't look at your bass.

IMO I would get new strings and take the bass to a pro to be set up and see if that alleviates your problems.
  6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It's not a Rogue bass, is it?
  7. sharp_19

May 22, 2003
    No its a Warwick, I replaced the strings today and had a band practice and they seem fine now.

Thanks for the assistance everyone.