Help my bass lingo?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Ulyanov, May 18, 2001.

1. Hey
    I've heard the word pocket used a lot in reference to bass playing, but I don't know what it means. Could someone please explain? Thanks.
  2. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    You can´t hold no groove if you ain´t got no pocket!
  3. What happens if u have a hole in your pocket?

Guess it wouldall fall through hey?
    nup lame, back to bed for me!
  4. Darn I was so happy when I saw that this question had been answered, because the proper answer was killing me. This is a hard question to answer Ulyanov. I guess it is when the bass player and drummer are locked together and just grooving. It is kind of an X-Files thing. When the groove of a song just locks, when you are playing, get a big grin on your face because all sounds right and look over and see that the drummer has the same grin.

It seems to describe the grooves of funk, R&G and other groovy music, If done right you will see people that were sitting at their table getting up to shake the ole' money maker.

Well thats about as close as I can get to it.
    My answer is bassed on my background, you may get a Jazz player that will reply in a different way.
  5. AHA! Another Wooten fan! Quite witty.
  6. Oh, ok. I know what that is, I'm not in a band, so I don't experience it much, but I got it once while playing Billie Jean with my drummer friend. That was fun. Thanks
  7. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Bass Player magazine had an issue a few years back. The cover story was "How to Groove".
    The story contained an extensive discussion with opinions from noted bass players in a variety of styles who attempted to define what is meant by "the pocket" and "the groove." Plus they discussed how to groove and how to play "in the pocket."

You might be able to find that story archived at, but their archives pretty much suck, so the article may not be available. You might try doing a search of "the pocket" or "the groove" in's search window. That might turn up a few different articles that deal with the topic or at least define the word for you.