Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help! My bass sounds like a pit viper!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tash, Mar 23, 2005.

1. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    What the hell, I was trying to lay down some tracks for my new guitar player to learn and when I plugged my bass in I get horrid hissing under every note. Its steady, but only when the bass is generating sound, if I mute the strings or turn the volume off there's nothing.

Its not RF because it doesn't change as I move (which RF usually does, right?). It doesn't seem to be grounding because no matter where I touch on the bass there is no change in sound. I took the backplate off and looked for frayed wires or visible shorts but saw nothing.

What the hell else could it be and why did it start litterally overnight?

2. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    Active? Check the battery?

3. First, what kind of bass is it?

Second, if your bass is active, have you checked the battery?

Edit: Mike A beat me to it!

4. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
  5. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Its an ESP F205. Passive PUs, Active EQ. I did check the battery (the old "tounge test), it has charge but isn't fresh (i.e. it doesn't hurt). Do I need a new one? Can never recall any of may active basses making noises when their battery went dead.

6. R Briere

R Briere Bass-ically Yours

Depending on the type of music you play the "Pit Viper" thing could be a plus.

If the battery test didn't work well enough to cross your eyes, I'd go there as stated previously. NOTE: Do NOT try the tongue test when your CAR battery has problems. A SEARS Die Hard will give an entirely different response. Also....Gene Simmons is the only man on the planet who can reach both poles with his tongue!

Then I'd go to the cable. I can't believe how many guys use a $1,000 bass, a $1,000 amp......and a $2 cable.

Past there.......let us know. :)

7. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    Heh.. you can lay a very nice weld down with three car batteries linked together.

8. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    OK, battery replaced, nothing....took my whole signal chain apart to test cable by cable...it appears the hiss is actually coming from my J-Station. I never notice it when playing guitar because the distortion is on. Apparently I'm now boosting just the right parts of the spectrum to make the hiss prominent with my bass.

Guess a Sansamp or something else is in my future soon.

9. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Oh yea, effects boxes are almost always noisy.