1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help! my bass sounds microphonic!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Triclops, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    What gives, and what can I do?

2. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I'd like to know if this is what you mean with that term.

3. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    the funny thing is, when I change basses it goes away! on my active/passive, I hit a note, and there is a ringing bing or a booonnnngggg sound..

4. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Well, maybe this is not the solution, but if that only happens in active mode, I'd suggest you to replace the battery. In all honesty, your problem sounds very weird to me since microphonics is a problem frequently associated with tube amps, not electric guitars or basses (I need more knowledge on this, for sure).

5. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    my bass amp is tube and solid state.I notice this when I play on the solid state channel...I don't think the tube is involed in the signal chain when it is on "solid state" I don't use the tube channel because it totaly sucks. The gain drops by half, and it distorts easily.Maybe the tube is ****ty?

6. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

As far as I know, a tube amp in good condition can sound really loud. That normally leads to distortion, but it's a natural, overdrive-type one (which sounds cool). So why don't you try replacing (or at least checking) your amp's tubes? BTW, I loved those tube testers when I was a kid.

7. Since you say this is with one bass and not the other, I think it is likely a pickup/pickups. Plug in each bass and tap with your fingertip around each pickup and on the plastic cover of each pickup. You should be able to tell pretty easily if any given pickup is a problem.

If it is a pickup:
    Depending on the construction of a pickup you may or may not be able to solve the problem by potting the pickup. I had the pickups of my PJ bass potted and it greatly reduced the microphonics. In that case it was well worth the effort but there is no guarantee - potting a pickup may fix the problem, do nothing or potentially ruin the pickup. It is always a bit of a crapshoot.

Good Luck,
    S

8. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    potting? also, my bas amp has one tube...

9. If it doesn't do it when you switch basses, you can probably assume it's the one bass that's having the problem.

If it's active, change the battery. Tap on the pickup(s), see if you're getting the same problem. Try that bass through a different amp.