1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help! My bass stopped working.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mike_157, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Mike_157

Mike_157

Nov 4, 2010
    Newfoundland
    It's a Dean Metal Man 2A V, with active electronics. A few days ago it started crapping out when turned up loud or with too much bass which is what usually what happens when the battery is just about drained so I thought that was all that was to it.

Today I picked up some new batteries and gave that a try and nothing, I tried 3 different batteries so it wasn't just a bad battery. One time the jack came loose and I twisted off a wire so I checked that and pretty much all the wires to make sure that wasn't the problem but I didn't find any damaged or broken wires.

Anyone have any Ideas what my problem could be?

2. OOZMAN

OOZMAN

Jun 16, 2010
    Australia
    More info please. What does "stopped working" mean?

3. Mike_157

Mike_157

Nov 4, 2010
    Newfoundland
    No sound at all coming from it. I was thinking it could be the jack but everything looks fine, I checked all the wiring and found no broken/chafed wires or bad solder joints. Something similar happend a couple years ago where the jack came loose and twisted off a wire but there's no sign of anything like that this time, all the wires look good.

4. Is it possible your amp blew a fuse or something? try a different bass with the amp.

5. Mike_157

Mike_157

Nov 4, 2010
    Newfoundland
    I tried it through the amp, through my pod x3 live, and directly into my computer speakers, so it's got to be something with the bass.

6. This may sound dumb, but did you check if the battery connection is solid in the cavity? I went as far as replacing my input jack before I realized the negative connection had bent enough to lose contact. Never admitted it to anyone, but boy did I feel stupid.

7. Mike_157

Mike_157

Nov 4, 2010
    Newfoundland
    I made sure of that, and the connections and the wires looked perfect.

8. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    my kids' Dean fritzed out recently. i removed the circuit board and found the control pots were not tightly grounded to the board. i also touched-up the solder joints from the battery leads and input jack leads. after tapeing down said wires, it plays great! no signal drops or static. gl.

9. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    first I would get an ohms/continuity checker and make sure that from the battery connections to the circuit board there aren't any breaks. Sometimes what looks good visually can hide a problem which a meter can detect.