Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help.. my bass won't play

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by antifrat, Aug 17, 2003.

1. antifrat

antifrat Guest

Jun 27, 2002
    abducted by lemmings
    I just got my new bass back, and yeah I can't get a sound out of it It's not the lead or the amp (unless you need a different amp?) cos they're fine with my other bass.

so I was wondering if active basses need different amps? I remeber seeing different inputs on an amp once.. but an amp with only one input.. will an active bass not play properly through this kinda amp?

Or could it be the battery? I got this bass secondhand so yeah, I don't know how old the battery is. But how would you be able to tell if the battery needed replacing?

2. Try replacing the battery and if that doesnt work look at the wiring and make sure there are no wires floating around. That can always be a problem. Well good luck with it and I hope you get it fixed! ~ tyler

3. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    If the battery needs replacing, it wont play!

Try changing it.

Regards

Mike

4. If it isn't the battery, it could be bag grounding or a bad connection to the volume and/or tone knob(s). It happened to my old Squier a long time ago, those wires were all screwed up. Something like that could probably be done very cheap (I got it for free!). I think it's the battery though, look at that first.

5. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Back from where?

No, active basses don't need special amps.

Lick it!

6. definitely check the battery, active basses won't play if the battery is dead.... some people even forget about the battery, cuz the battery can last like a couple of years in some cases.

If it isn't the battery, then it could be something with the input plugs... if it isn't that, then it could be the volume pot.

Good luck and tell us what it was!

7. antifrat

antifrat Guest

Jun 27, 2002
    abducted by lemmings
    yeah, it was the battery, its fine now :D
    thanks anyway, meh i was worried there

8. antifrat

antifrat Guest

Jun 27, 2002
    abducted by lemmings
    a yamaha bb1500a, I think they're discontinued now

9. good thing it was only your battery.... many people forget about that one small detail and panick, thinking their bass is broken or something.