Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help! my bass world is crumbling!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by patrickroberts, Mar 5, 2001.

1. patrickroberts

patrickroberts

Aug 21, 2000
    Wales, UK
    I got my bass a year ago, it's my first and i am pleased with it so far! I have a Kustom 15watt bass amp...I got my bass restrung this week with Warwick strings very nice 'a snip @ £14.50' u think...well i get back to my house plug into my amp and it starts to fuzz!!! i can't play a note sometimes it just blanks out and no sound is coming from it...it can't be the strings they're new! I mean the neck is wonky but that shouldn't effect it...There is nothin' wrong with the pickups! and i am damn annoyed! what the hell is going on?...well i got the receipt but what is happening could it be the bass or would it be the amp..
    cheers.
    a disgruntled bass player about to make a demo tape!

2. mark

mark

Apr 7, 2000
    Canada
    If you bass has active electronics it could be the battery.

3. patrickroberts

patrickroberts

Aug 21, 2000
    Wales, UK
    how do i find that out?

4. If it doesn't have a battery compartment in it, unscrew the back plate. If there is a 9v battery in there, replace it with a new one. If it still fuzzes out, you're probably overdriving that 15 watt amp.

5. It could be a short in your cord.
    A couple weeks ago I had the same problem and couldn't figure it out so I brought my bass to my friend's house, plugged into his amp with a different cord to show him the problem. But the bass worked fine. He laughed at me a little then told me to take his cord with me and everything was fine. So this may be your problem.