Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help my cousin find the perfect bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassManPatsFan, Dec 30, 2004.

1. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    hey guys i know there are a lot of threads like this but im in a bit of a pickle. Okay, so my cousin is looking to buy a new bass and i really want to help him out. Currently he owns a crappy squier p-bass and it is holding him back from the musical goals he would like to achieve. His price range is about $1,000 and the basses he has been looking at are; fender MIA jazz, fender geddy lee, musicman stingray/sterling, and warwick corvette. He plays classic rock, acid/grunge rock, and jazz. He says his tone preference is ballsy and woody but also something that can sound smooth for jazz at school and then go the other way and sound twangy and trebly. I guess he is looking for a well priced, solidly built, versatile bass. Any feedback would be appreciated. Also he is trying to find the perfect bass ASAP because it is supposed to be a christmas/birthday present from his father.
    Thank you
    :bassist:

2. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Well. all of those basses are solidly built, nice instruments. Any of them will blow the Squier P away. Your cousin appears to play a wide range of styles and the Jazzes are known for their versatility, but the others listed certainly have their strengths. Basses with two pickups are usually considered to have a wider range of tones. It's best to play them all, if possible, and then make a decision. It may come down to feel, vibe, or looks. Good luck!

3. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    if he wants a warwick, I recommend he look for used ones. You can get a lot better bang for your buck. I found my thumb NT with ebony fretboard used for 1400$. You can get good deals on Ebay, and it'll save you a grand or two.

4. StingRay5guy

StingRay5guy Guest

Oct 14, 2004
    I would recomend the Stingray or the Fender.

5. BassManPatsFan

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    Thanks everyone who responded. If you have anymore suggestions or want to suggest any bass specifically, keep responding! Thanks again.

6. BassManPatsFan

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    bump he needs help fast

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    he needs to go play all he can, my perfect bass may suck to him... plus a properly set up Squier P shouldn't be a hinder to most musical goals.

just going on what you've posted here...

G&L L-2000 / L-2500
    Lakland 44-04 / 55-02
    Fender P deluxe (with humbucker) / Roscoe Beck 5
    EB Bongo

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    G & L or EB Musicman are worth looking into.

9. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    You mention a woody tone then a warwick will nail that, Great for jazz and rock as well.

10. BassManPatsFan

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    Yeah, Ive been telling him he needs to play everything and he has been its just that his dad seems really intent on ordering this thing soon so i was interested in possibly eliminating some basses or more importantly adding more to the list to try. I also forgot to mention that he is only interested in four string basses so i guess we can eliminate the fives.

Thanks for everyones help so far

11. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    cool, that's why I listed my choices in 4 string then 5... good luck!

12. BassManPatsFan

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    Thanks! He is now considering a Fender MIA Deluxe P-bass and is pretty excited. Do u guys think it is worth shelling out the extra dough for this baby? It sounds like a pretty hot bass for the price. The only thing he seems to be concerned about is the fact that you can't turn off the active electronics but i was wondering if this bass has a battery compartment on the back that is easy to get to.
    Sorry for the numerous posts but its pretty excititng to be bass shopping again and this is quite a big investment.

13. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Fender... or a Bongo.

Bongo would be good I think, if he likes the looks :p

14. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    For playing rock, I would recommend a Traben, but they are not as suitable to jazz and are heavy as ****. Sounds like what he may need is a Fender J or a Stingray, but those are generally out of his price range new if hes using 1 grand.

15. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    The American Deluxe Precision is a terrific bass and is within your budget. Smaller body than a regular P, with a very broad tonal range available. True, it cannot be switched to passive mode, and yes, the battery compartment is easily accessible on the back. An excellent choice for playing different styles of music. :)

16. BassManPatsFan

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    Thanks alot! I think my cousin is going to go for the american deluxe now. He had one more question about it though. Does the battery cover pop out or is it screwed in? When he gets back home after the holidays, he's heading right to the nearest guitar store to play this baby up.

17. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    The battery cover screws in. Good luck! I LOVE mine. If you're looking for a deal, The Bass Place in Arizona has new ones several model years old for $995. :)

18. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
  19. bluemonk

bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Michigan
    The bass I was thinking of as I read your post was a Fender jazz. I have a P and a Warwick and two jazzes (fretted and fretless), and I'd say that the Warwick might be less versatile than he wants and the Jazz will have both the verstility and the right feel. The P is a bit chunkier thing to play. The Jazz has a slimmer neck. I think you can also get Jazz Fenders that have a split P pickpup (not soup :p ) plus a jazz pickup. That would give you the sounds of both worlds with the feel of a jazz. Others would know which model that is, or else go to the website.

20. bluemonk

bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Michigan
    The Fender website shows the Stu Hamm Urge Bass II with two Jazz pickups and a split P pickup. That would really give you the two worlds in one. It's active, according to the specs. I've never played one or seen one.