Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help...my DRs sound strange

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by panazza, Dec 27, 2003.

1. panazza

panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    italy
    Hi
    I just put on a set of DR hi beams on my jazz bass... they sound great on fretted notes but when I pluck the E strings unfretted the sound is not clear and definite...I can hardly say it is an E note!!! the same on the other strings but they sound better... I never experienced this on my other basses when I put on a new set of strings... so I wonder if it is just because the strings are fresh or... something else??? there isn't any fret buzz only bad sound.... even plugged in the amp it sounds awful... help!!!

2. DR's are handmade, so there could be some bad strings out of the box. I've heard of people getting some, but I haven't so I'm not sure if that's the case.

3. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Re EQ your head..... then go from there. Chances are when you change string manufacterers sometimes you need to redo the EQ on your set up to compensate. Boost the lows, scoop some mids stuff like that. Lets us know how it works.

4. panazza

panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    italy
    I ended up changing strings and putting a set of D'addario on my jazz... the DR sounded great on the highs but lows and low-mids were awful.. I spent hours working on eq but it didn't work.... well maybe DR aren't the right strings for me but I put them on my other bass and they sounded great... I am a bit confused about that!
    anyway DR were too soft for my jazz... it was all rattling and the strings hit the pickups...I had to lower too much the neck pickup and I couldn't attack strings like I usually do. So d'addario XL work better for me

5. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    That's what happens when the core windings slip. Happened to me with Hi-Beams. Get DR to get you another set. They are cool to deal with as far as I know.

6. panazza

panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    italy
    tripster... how could I avoid core slipping? I just did what they said on the package... crimp your string at a 45 angle.... etc....????

7. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    Sometimes they act up anyway. It JUST happened to me a minute ago.:( I followed the destructions as well. Hmm...

8. rmars

rmars

Jan 2, 2004
    Bettendorf, Ia
    You may already know this but if you cut the strings to short and your string does not go around the tuner at least 3 to 4 times(on a traditional Fender style tuning peg) it may sit too high on the tuner winding post which will therefore not apply enough downward pressure across the nut. This will allow the open string to sound almost dead and vibrate against the nut. Even if you did cut the string too short you can detune the string and push down on the string towards the headstock as your winding the string up to pitch. Hope this helps.

9. panazza

panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    italy
    infact (hey how do you write this?Infact or In fact??? I don't remember...) I cut my E string a bit short it only did one and a half winding... that explains it all...

10. rmars

rmars

Jan 2, 2004
    Bettendorf, Ia
    I have done the same thing on my old Jazz Bass and now I cut my strings pretty long. I love DR strings and have used Hi Beams though I mainly use LoRiders these days.
    I see you are from Italy, are you a cycling fan? If so, whose your favorite sprinter, Mario Cippollini or Alessandro Petacchi? Petacchi was awesome this year!

11. panazza

panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    italy
    sorry rmars, I'm not interested in cycling! I also hate soccer.. pretty strange for an Italian guy I know! How do lo riders sound compared to hi beams??

12. Another possibility: the DR high beams have very low tension, so your neck might need some readjustment (forward bow). Try playing the open string and pushing the headstock forward (simulating forward bow). If it sounds better, give the truss rod a small adjustment.