1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help! My E string sound vibrate

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by antimack, Nov 12, 2010.

1. antimack

antimack

Nov 12, 2010
    Hi. I just bought American Standard Jazz Bass 1999 4 strings in mint condition. When i came home and plug this jazz bass into amp i play it for a few minuts. All strings sounds good(strings old) and tunes very well, but my E string sounds vibrated(like with vibrato effect) at 12 and after 12 fret. I change strings, change pickup height, setup set properly but problem not gone:bawl:
    Please help me, i have only 1 bass guitar((( and can't afford another, any help will be appreciated.

2. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

Jan 21, 2005
    erm... just an idea, ┬┐bridge sadle?

Sometimes if they wear out they can do funny stuff...

3. antimack

antimack

Nov 12, 2010
    Thanks man, i will try. Bridge sadle on E string looks allright and like new. I raise it and low, but problem still present. I say just that the problem present even if bass is not plugged.

4. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Could it be that its something else vibrating but making it sound like its coming from the E string?

You know, a real bass player doesn't go that high ;-)

5. jsmilez

jsmilez

Nov 25, 2006
    Merrimac, MA
    How does the neck relief look? If you look down the top (and bottom) edge of the neck from the headstock, you should be able to see any high spots and check the relief. If the neck is super flat or bent back a bit, you could try relieving some tension on the truss rod. That will most likely throw your setup a bit off, but could help.

6. antimack

antimack

Nov 12, 2010
    Maybe, but i check all mechanic and tighten all screws. I'll check all more. The neck relief is almost perfect, like in a fender manual, there is no high spots. When i I put my ear to the body and pull the open E string(bass is unplugged) i hear string that sounds vibrated and some overtones(noise).

7. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    I would also check the tuners. I recently was convinced i had a bad string but it turned out to be a faulty tuning peg. Hold the ends of the tuners when you check this.

Its just an idea though.

8. staindbass

staindbass

Jun 9, 2008
    did u check to see if the truss rod nut is tight? if there is a washer between the wood and nut it will vibrate if loose. sit with your bass in playing position. slap one of the horns sharply,actually slap it everywhere- back of headstock too. see if you can make the buzz happen without playing the string. is there a neck tilt adjustment near the bolt on holes? this might be loose. the next step i would take the controls/pickup/pickgaurd off to make sure it isnt anything in there. the cutout for the nut may not be angled correctly.. small chance there. put the e string on in the d string position. if it still happens its not the nut. are you sure all the allen head bridge screws are tight to the bridgeplate? are you sure you are not counterwinding by accident when stringing up? i mean do not twist the string when putting them on. lastly, are the pickups real close? that will do wierd things sometimes too. shims in the neck can do funny things too- it ruins the body to wood contact. hope you find it. johnny a. / staind

9. antimack

antimack

Nov 12, 2010
    Staindbass thank's for advices, i check all!

10. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    While not unheard of, it is doubtful that the problem is mechanical.

1. Check the pickup heights. Could be that the magnetic pull between the two pickups is causing the string to waver.
    2. The strings are old. Could be a false string. Change the string.

The first solution costs nothing. Try it first. The second solution is probably the right one. It is relatively inexpensive.

11. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    That would be my guess as well, especially since it's only happening on the E string, and only in the higher registers. Try lowering the pickups on the E-string side.

12. antimack

antimack

Nov 12, 2010
    pickups height is as low as possible but problem still present( and i put new d'addario exl165

13. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    I doubt a normally functioning pup, set to the right height as the OP has said, would cause this, and especially not unplugged.

14. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    The magnetic field would be actually interfering with the way the string vibrates, so it's audible even when the bass is unplugged. However, if the OP has already lowered the pickup then you're right, that may not be the problem.

antimack, are the strings tapered at the saddle? I've also seen similar problems with tapered E/B strings on some basses when the tapered section extends too far past the saddle.

15. antimack

antimack

Nov 12, 2010
    are the strings tapered at the saddle? no.

16. fretster

fretster Advanced Beginner Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2005
    Moraga, California
    I wonder if this is a case of "wolftones". Do a search on google, as there is a lot of into on this outside TalkBass. The problem affects many types of stringed instruments.

17. Mickets

Mickets

Feb 18, 2018

Antimack, i have a very similar issue.

Did you ever find a solution?

Thanks