Help! MY Ego is in the way!!!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Funkee1, Jan 26, 2004.

1. Funkee1

Jul 19, 2002
    I am doing a showcase with an artist who is signed. He is very tallented, a good singer, and the kind of face that'll look great on CD boxes, but

He doesnt' know ANYTHING about music, can't tell us what chords he's playing , can't tune his own guitar, an writes realy Whack lyrics!!!

Sample: More than one song contains a reference to "getting into my car of love" ***????

Any way, help me. Give me some ideas how to keep my ego from interfering with morking with this kid. I resent the fact that, after 20 years of playing, high school and college education, and nearly completing a double major Music/ english, i have to take orders from this kid.

How do I put that aside, and just enjoy the gig?
  2. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Hey, maybe he really really loves his car.
  4. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Hmmm, this post looks familiar ;)

I was in a similar situation a couple of years ago. The gig wasn't quite as high profile as yours, but with an up-and-comer.

Same story - guy was painfully inexperienced. His songs were cool, but he didn't know how to write out his songs for others (the material was all co-written), had no idea how to run a band or a practice, and didn't take any advice.

Still... a potential winner in the long run.

I left.
  5. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Is there a paycheck involved?

If so, it could help take away some of the sting
  6. Funkee1

Jul 19, 2002
    No, but in previous shows, I have made up to $250 for two rehearsals and a gig.
    This time it's a freebie.

there's gonna be a lot of industry suits in da house, though.
  7. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I'd help him out, act like his best friend, show him a few things, then ride his coat tail to the top :D

He's not going to fire you if you convince him he's screwed without you.
  8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I agree - take him to one side and tell him that you can see he has fantastic potential to be big - but what he really needs is a "musical director" ...and you know just the person for the job!! ;)
  9. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    I love this tack. Sit down with him off-rehearsal, transcribe all his stuff, and give it to the other musicians. If you can do this for him, he'll never fire you since YOU'RE the one who makes his music sound good.

Can any other of the band's musicians do this? If so, never mind.
  10. icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    don't forget to make him buy a lot of expensive musical gear such as

PRS guitars
    Very vintage amp
    a lot of useless effects

It should be cool to look someone spending a lot of money
  11. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

How do I put that aside, and just enjoy the gig?

If it were me, I'd plan a "wardrobe malfunction."
  12. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    this didn't happend to me but it happened to my guitarist two weeks ago or so. he was playing for an R&B soul artist...

He was playing for this cat named Rudy Currence (he is fairly up and comming, 2 songs on Mias album and one on the born identity sound track)... The guy is talented, he can play all over the place, but he doesn't tell the band what he is doing ever, he expected them to know where he was going on the fly.. One song he performed he hadn't even rehearsed with the band.. instead just called out "this is in Eb" and started to play... no one followed..

Well he will never play for that guy again... he said it was just awefull
  13. vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    LMAO! That is the funniest thing I have read in a long time. The lyric is bad enough, but multiple songs have it in it! That is great!
    Ignore it and go for the cash my friend.
  14. Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    ... and that's why the lead music teacher at my school keeps getting ME to play for all his events! I definitely am not the best bassist in my school, but ne "needs" me!