Help! My fingers are constantly cold!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by John K., Nov 24, 2002.

1. And I'm not just talking about while playing bass, I mean all the time. I can get them warm, but the moment I stop them from being exposed to warmth (like in a pocket or near a heater) they get instantly cold. It happens not only outside, but even in my house, where it is a constant 69 to 72 degrees (or about 20.535 to 22.2 degrees celsius for our smart, metric users.) It also seems to happen even AFTER warming up my body. I'll do stretches for my whole body, including my arms and fingers, even some simple excersises like pushups and situps, but it still doesn't help. It gets really frustrating because I can't always have my hands in my pockets or always wear gloves.

Does anyone here have any remedies or any suggestions that could help a confused and cold guy over here?
  2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    You could just have poor blood circulation. Eating healthier and regular excercise along with no smoking of cigarettes/pot may help quite a bit. Actually, it helps everything quite a bit.
  3. Well, I don't smoke or drink, considering that I'm still 15 and all, and I really hate the smell of smoke, and I eat pretty healthy, so I'm thinking it's poor circulation. Any ideas on things that could help that?
  4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Drink two pints of fresh virgin blood every night before bed. :)

Reducing your intake of fats and saturated fats, and eating garlic and onions help in dissolving clots in your blood. Eating soybeans and high-fiber foods also helps. Cardio-vascular excercises will also help regularize your circulation some.
  5. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    go get some blood test done, go visit your doctor already!

why do people have to ask for medical help on internet forums is way far from my understanding...

i mean, we dont physically know you, 99% of these people are NOT doctors and also we can't even see what your medical problem is...

sorry to rant on you but if you are really that worried you should go to a doctor

PS: also, this is not like "hey guys, need some info about tendinitis or tinnitus" or something related to bass playing... some people here can offer help from their experience there but this is not the case
  6. Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    If it is poor circulation, a regular aerobic exercise program could help. Maybe jogging or cycling. Hope ya find something that helps.

7. Well, I'm not saying this is a life or death situation kinda thing, I just wanted to see if there was some kind of medicine or something that would help blood flow/circulation throughout the body.

This is just one of those irritating things that I thought could be cured by a quick fix of help from other people who might know whats going, especially since everyone here uses there hands frequently playing the bass (unless you can play the bass with your feet!! :eek: ).
  8. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    uh ok

-go get some exercise as stated above,
    -get a massage (if you have a girlfriend that would be perfect ;) )
    -take an aspirin (anticoagulatory effect might help)

9. How would you know? Are you a doctor? Do you know what conditions cold fingers are symptomatic of?

Wouldn't you want a doctor to confirm that you have poor circulation, and maybe determine if there is an underlying reason for that condition?

Well, if you want opinions, I'll give you one... maybe you have a hole in your heart that's causing your poor circulation. Hopefully not, but wouldn't this be something you would want a doctor (rather than a bunch of bassists) to determine.

Mama mia! Get yourself checked.... SERIOUSLY!
    I sure hope it's nothing.

10. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    I wasn't trying to impress the notion that I am a doctor by any mean; I was simply relaying some helpful info on a subject which I do have some knowledge about from quite a bit of studying. If he feels the problem is serious enough, then sure, by all means visit a doctor. But to me he just seemed curious as to what the problem may be and how to help it, and cold extremeties are a common side-effect of poor circulation, a common health problem in America. And it's not something to be looking for a quick fix for; far too often people take pills to eliminate the symptoms without actually fixing the problem, which in a huge number of cases is diet-related.

11. Thank you.
  12. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Does this thread remind anyone else about the BassMittens in some BP's April issue? :D
  13. go to a doctor. only a doctor can tell you what is going on. as far as asking talk bass, one, we are not able to see you physically even if there was a doctor on site. no one can make a diagnosis without tests and you getting checked.
    two: ummmmmm, if that worried go to a doctor.
    three: GO TO THE DOCTOR.
    if you have any blue under your nails, you need to hurry your butt up to one. don't waste time asking people who can not diagnosis you and all. go to the doctor.
    did i say that enough. okay one more time: GO TO THE DOCTOR
    hope all is well, take care of yourself, wear gloves i guess. ;)