Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help My GAS - Vote Now!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by beam, Sep 9, 2004.

Which and Why

Poll closed Sep 16, 2004.
  1. Lakland Skyline Bob Glaub W/JO Neck and Fralin Jazz Bridge Pup

26 vote(s)
    54.2%
  2. Fender Roscoe Beck IV

22 vote(s)
    45.8%
  1. beam

beam

Dec 29, 2002
    Going to be getting a nice bass in the not-so-distant future, and I have narrowed it to 2. I'm big on all passive setups with a good array of tones, so naturally a P/J was attractive to me. Then I saw the Roscoe Beck 4 and had a mental fit hehe.
    Ideally, I'd like to lay my hands on one to see just how P-ish that neck humbucker is, as I do love the sound of a good P, but also of a bridge pickup.

Also, has to be a jazz neck so the final two contestants are:

Lakland Skyline Bob Glaub w/ Joe Osborne Neck and Fralin Bridge Pickup

or

Fender Roscoe Beck IV Signature

The simple and classic tone of the Lakland has its good poitns, just as the tonal array and solid tones of the Roscoe Beck. They are both terrific instruments, but I can only afford one of them :(

2. picknslap

picknslap

Sep 9, 2004
    Manteca
    I've heard the term gas thrown about quite a bit. What's it stand for?

And I'm not a big Lakland fan so I would say the Fender, although I have never played that model personally, I have heard some good things.

3. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Hey, Beam;

Just for the heck of it, there's a Skyline Bob Glaub w/ Jazz neck (but no Jazz pup) for sale on the TB classifieds right now. Sorry. Should have called it a Joe Osborne neck.

4. beam

beam

Dec 29, 2002
    Thanks man, Yea I saw that..which is what got me thinking :(

I know you can send it in to Lakland to have the brdige pup added, total its about $200.

5. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    If I were looking for a P we wouldn't be having this conversation...I'd be PMing the guy.

6. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I really know nothing about the RB IV, but you can't go wrong with Lakland. I've owned a couple of different Skylines now and they really are quite amazing.

7. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts

G.A.S. = Gear Aquisition Syndrome (or similar...)

The fuel by which we all live!!!! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

8. beam

beam

Dec 29, 2002
    Well, just talked to a Lakland dealer..

you cant get the skylines with the JO neck(as of recently) or the bridge pup, just the US models..

I supposed I could still send it in to have it done, but that still sucks :(

9. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Beam;

The Skyline Glaub w/the JO neck is still for sale on the TB classifieds. PM the guy. You could buy it and have Lakland or someone else route it for the neck pup. Just played a Lakland Skyline JO today. Nice bass. You could do a lot worse than a Lakland.

10. beam

beam

Dec 29, 2002

Yea I saw that earlier, thanks for the input :) THough last night I had some serious financial strain(one of my pets fell ill), so all bass gear is out for a long while :(

I appreciate the feedback though!

11. Yes...but I'd say you're still better off than the RB5 (granted a nice instrument...) AND I really dig the neck on the Glaub (if it's dimensions are exacting to the USA model - wonderful feeling P!

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Id go for the Lakland.