Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help! My gold parts are pitting.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mikefish07, May 22, 2003.

1. Mikefish07

Mikefish07

Apr 6, 2003
    Any suggestions on care of gold parts. I wipe them down after every gig but it still getting duller and more pits in the finish. Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I've only got one bass with gold hw. I never actually touch the hw if I can help it, I always use a cloth when turning the tuners etc. and I'm very careful to wipe them down anyway. It seems to me that not all gold hw is created equally though. Mine is on a fairly expensive bass, an MVP custom, so it may be of higher grade than some other gold hw. THe reason this is my only bass w/gold hw is because it is so hard to maintain - the rest of my basses have black hw.

3. I'm sure i'm the odd man out in these parts, but I like a bass/guitar to look like it's seen some action. I like it when they look like they've been sweat on, been on the road, seen a few bar brawls etc.
    I can't even imagine using a cloth to tune my bass and never touching the hardware. God bless you if you can keep that up. Maybe it's my rock n' roll roots.
    I always get natural wood finishes and let them take on that used petina.
    I always loved Rory Gallaghers guitar, it looked like it had been set on fire, spit on, tossed about etc.
    It's like if Clint Eastwood had used wrinkle cream, he just wouldn't be the man.
    Peace

4. odie

odie Supporting Member

I agree with mcbassdude.

I dont mind the look of a played bass. I dont like rust, but alittle wear and tear on gold plating gives it character. IMHO.

By the way mcbassdude welcome to Talkbass!!

5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Replace the hardware with chrome or black. That's the only thing that's going to stop this effect.

6. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    I'm with mcbassdude and odie. Wear and tear definatly gives a bass that has countless twins it's own personal charachter.

7. Mikefish07

Mikefish07

Apr 6, 2003
    Thanks for the replies, but I was hoping that there was some kind of solution that could make my hardware shine again. I don't think my hardware is a lower quality because it's a Yamaha Nathan East Signature model. I know there are things to make brass and chrome shine like new.

8. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
  9. CDuff

CDuff

Sep 14, 2002
    Europe
    I'm with you. It's these little scratches and dings that really make it YOUR guitar. There's a story behind each one, until it gets so battered and worn that it's as comfortable on you as your clothes.
    Seriously, Mikefish, I know we've gone off topic a bit but you should worry less about these little dings, they're not important and you'll be happier not thinkin about it.

10. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    There is a "special polish" available for gold plated parts. I have no idea who makes it, but I could tell you where I got it. The guys who do "golding" on car emblems have it.A girl who used to work for me gave it to me, her husband has a golding buisness, he would go around to the new car dealers. check with some of the local dealers in your area and see if you can track down one of these guys. The stuff he gave me
    was in a little white bottle.Or check with some local speed shops or detail shops. As far as the
    off topic, I am with blacshole. I never touch
    my gold hdwe, I tune with the polish cloth, and my gold hdwe has lasted for a long time, I have a
    78 p-bass and a 82 jazz bass with gold hdwe,and
    while it does show some wear over the years, It
    still looks great.[​IMG]

11. Ok. Where or How did
    you get such a cool
    Plexi Case?

How much does something like that cost?

Sorry, I'm compelled to ask.

12. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
  13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Don't boast - people might just say you're "gilding the lily"!! ;)

14. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    If you guys are so worried about the bass gettign damaged, whay not play the bass parts on a.......

......Synth!!!!!:eek: Mostly plastic & no worried about pitting.

:bag:

15. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Here is my 1978 P-Bass w/gold hdwe, I am the original owner and I never worry about damaging it or the gold parts, I just keep them clean, this bass has it's share of scrathes etc etc,
    but with a little care, the gold will hold up.
    The original post was asking how to maintain
    and care for the gold hdwe, he never said he was
    worried about damaging his bass.Look at it like brushing your teeth.You know what happens when you dont.[​IMG]