1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help my guitar player find a delay

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mingus Addict, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Okay so my guitar player has some really high hopes for a delay, and I haven't heard of anything like he's looking for. He has two Dan Echo's right now that he really likes the sound of. The problem is he wants tap tempo. Not only that, he wants a delay at the beginning and end of his pedal chain, and he wants to be able to hit one tap tempo switch to sink both delays. I 'm not really sure why...:meh: Anyway I guess he'll need some kind of delay with MIDI or a single delay with an effects loop or something. I don't know, does anyone know if this is possible?

2. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Why would you turn them both on in sync? That'd just sound like one delay.

3. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    T Rex Replica?
    Nova Delay?

4. Yeah but he'd have a gain pedal in between so I guess one set of delays would be pre-distortion and the other would be post. I don't really know what that would sound like, but if you're thinking is sounds like more trouble than its worth... I agree:rolleyes:

5. SpankyPants

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Why not put the distortion in a clean blend? That'd delay both the clean and the disto'd tones.

6. irvinz

irvinz

Nov 23, 2006
    Australia
    has too much gas
    wouldnt the second delay delay his delay? =p
    get anything that is tap tempo-able, and get a y chord. that will do it fine.

7. I think I need to ask him more about what he is trying to achieve and get back to you guys.

8. Agreed.

If he likes the tones of the Dan Echo, but wants tap tempo, the Boss RE-20 wins, in my opinion.

I don't really get the pre and post delays having to be synched up. And I don't know of any delays that have the capability to share a tap tempo, at least not without a lot of midi routing mumbo jumbo.

9. moondog24

moondog24

Jun 22, 2008
    I don't know if this helps, but one cool feature of the Nova Delay is that if you hold down the tap tempo button it sets the tap tempo by reading the input (the tempo of your strumming or picking).

So if your guitar player has 2 Novas and stands with one foot on each tap tempo button while strumming, his Novas should end up in sync.

Just a thought.

hoby

10. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Give him a bass to play, that should hold him up a bit. That or a mirror. :ninja: :D

11. SpankyPants

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    :eyebrow:

12. Plus, there's no way once the things are "synced" that they'll stay that way for any length of time. Two independent oscillators will drift randomly and very quickly be out of sync again.

13. irvinz

irvinz

Nov 23, 2006
    Australia
    has too much gas
    10 bucks says what he really wants is parallel delays =p

14. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    10 bucks says the reason the guy asked the question was because he was a guitar player! ;)

15. Maybe you're right. What are parallel delays? BTW, I haven't gotten to talk to my guitar player about it more yet...:meh:

16. As Spanky said, that makes no sense. If he has a good delay to start with it should already be able to pull that off.

Here are some places to start.

MXR Carbon Copy
    HardWire (boutique Digitech) DL-8
    Akai E2 Headrush

The last of the three is the most expensive, but can also do the most.