1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help My Guitarists

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Dee Dubya, Dec 6, 2006.

1. Dee Dubya

Dee Dubya

Aug 23, 2006
    This isn't a bass question, it's a guitar question, but I don't really have a clue where else to ask.

In a song my band is in the middle of completing, we have all our parts worked out except for my lead guitarists chorus part. Currently he's playing the same as the rhythm guitarist, but he feels it detracts from the song a bit. The rest of us personally think it's fine, but I wanna see if there is a way for everyone to be happy. Does anyone know some techniques that they may be able to employ?

2. brothertupelo

brothertupelo Guest

Aug 7, 2005
    play arpeggios or phrases, possibly an octave higher

3. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Given the information, brothertupelo's advise is very good. IMHO, if you have a rhythm guitar and lead guitar, the lead guitar should be doing "lead fills" or some kind of guitar riff that stands out over the rhythm guitar (which is playing solid chords), but under or between the vocals during the verses and choruses. Then a guitar solo in place of the vocals over a verse (often the 3rd verse). Arpeggios of the chorus chords played up an octave, maybe 1st or 2nd inversions of those chords to add interest, with possibly an effect like wah or delay. Another nice technique, especially for recording, is to have him use a capo placed way up the neck, doing fingerstyle picking of the (transposed) chords just like you would on an acoustic guitar. It sounds really nice on a Les Paul using the neck pickup. Tell me the key and I'll tell you which fret to place the capo on and what the transposed chords would be.

4. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    On a chorus he could probably play a slow lead with drawn out notes that sort of go with the vocals.

5. tlwaps

tlwaps

Feb 13, 2006
    Ohio
    Harmonize the chorus

6. salFPS

salFPS

Aug 30, 2006
    San Diego
    A technique that works well for me on bass is to sometimes not know the other guy's parts, and just have the drummer play what he's decided to play, and whatever I feel is usually what ends up coming out the best. maybe you could apply this technique to your 'tarist, but it might be too late since he's probably too familiar with everyone's parts by now.

It just seems that "feeling" the music and not just pounding a line out 'cause he has to is what could also work for your guitarist. But hey, he and I aren't the same, so maybe he's gonna have some more trouble with it...

good luck finishing your song, we're currently working on two with two different play styles and it's mucking up my brain a bit....