help, my head dosent work!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jimmy ray, Sep 14, 2003.

1. i just got home from a practice today, and when i turned on my amp, nothing happened. the light didnt turn on, it didnt start humming and acc. power plug on the back dosent work anymore either. i tried using the reset breaker switch, but to no success. its a traynor monoblock ii, i have no idea what the problem is, and the cab its paired with is ok and i've used it a lot in the past few days since i got it. does anyone have any idea what my problem might be? thanks.
  2. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    first, check the fuse.

if that's not it... maybe time to take it in to the shop.
  3. BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    My head often doesn't work very well on Sundays. Kinda depends on what I did Saturday night.

OH! mean your amp.........sorry, can't help you there. It's Sunday, and my head's not working very well.......
  4. thanks for your posts, and i hear you on that one burce. lol
    i checked the back of the amp, and there is no fuse to take out right there like on my other amp, so i'll have to open it up. how do i know which is the fuse i'm looking for, and how do i know if its working right or not? thanks.
  5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Hope you tried to power it up through a different outlet first, just in case . . .

There's likely a fuse or two inside. You can look at them and tell if they're blown, they have a little tiny wire that runs through them, and if its melted or separated, then its blown.

Remember, fuses don't just blow, they blow for a REASON. If they blow, something's not right. Blown fuses are a symptom of a separate disease . . .
  6. thumbtrap

Jun 26, 2003
    At the risk of stating the more obvious than what Eric just said - Fuses don't blow when the amp is off either.

The dead giveaway is that the power plug on the back doesn't work either. She aint gettin any power capn. The external power plug on the back (if it is what I understand it to be) is likely not fused - because that represents an unknown external load. I know _I_ wouldn't want somebody else's device tripping my fuse. Customers point fingers to whoever owns the fuse, ergo - fuse your own design buddy.

As others have said - try it in a different outlet. Try it with a different cord. If it is broken - it's apparently physical and effects power to the whole unit - it's likely to be something very early between the plug and the filter caps - so it shouldn't be too heinous to track down and fix.
  7. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    THANK YOU, Bruce...

I saw the title to this thread & burst out laughing here at work...