help!!! my head is shrinking!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Threeviews, Jun 22, 2005.

1. This is the first bass I have tried to make (excluding parts projects). And I'm having some trouble. I designed what I thought was an attractive headstock, but I did not cut it well. And--like trying to fix a bad haircut one snip at a time--I have whittled my headstock down to a nub. Well not quite that, but it is small and ugly. What to do? I've thought about going headless, but those bridges seem prohibitively expensive. I've tried to think of ways to use regular tuning machines (eg. mounting them in 3 + 3--did I mention this is a six?--like a classical guitar headstock behind the bridge), but I can't seem to find a way to make it work. Any suggestions?

2. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    You could cut the sides flat and glue on some pieces of either matching or contrasting wood to fatten up the headstock again. I haven't tried it myself yet, but I know it's been done before. In theory you should be able to continue adding new headstock "wings" until you get it right.

3. This is a pretty easy thing to do as Nateo described. Just take your original design on a piece of paper and trace your new "shape" over it to see how much you should add to the existing headstock for reshaping. You can just glue the wings on and replane or use a biscuit or dowels if you want. If the area you've added on doesn't have the posts going through it or have the tuners mounted to it, you won't have to do anything else - just make it straight and nice. If your tuners do use the new pieces, then I might laminate a veneer on the face (and maybe the back) for some additional strength.
  4. ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    I had a similar problem my first time around. i didn't do this and i should have... my issue was i ran out of wood, and i was left with not enough room on my neck blank to draw out the headstock. the "wing" fix works like a charm.

if you think it might not be strong enough, and are comfortable enough with your wood working abilities, you could cut a Scarf Joint and use a whole new plank of wood.