Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help! My Lakland's active electronics croaked!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by CaptainWally, Nov 11, 2000.

1. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Ok, it's all fun and games until my bass
    craps out.

I was playing my 55-94 today and suddenly
    I can't hear it. It's been cutting out a
    bit in the last week or so. Get's more quiet.
    I thought I was just imagining it or something,
    but today it quit all together. Can't hear it
    at all with the active electronics on.

I can hear it fine with the passive mode. Push
    the knob in, and it's up and going in passive
    mode.

"No big deal" "Need to replace the battery"
    Well, I did, and still nothing. I gave the
    old battery a lick (doh!) and got a little
    shock. The new battery hasn't helped. What
    could it be?

If I have to ship to Lakland...how do you ship
    a bass anyway? What kind of carton or
    whatever do you use?

Thanks,
    Captain W.

2. RETSAMPALS

RETSAMPALS

Sep 10, 2000
    do you have a shop nearby you can have it looked at?
    i wouldn't ship it off, takes too long and maybe a little risky. try going to a shop first.

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Actually my repair experience with Lakland didn't take long at all. If you don't have a local dealer, call Lakland.

4. maybe a battery? :eek: if it isn't.. sorry I know nothing about lakland basses

-Willz

[Edited by ikickuintheballs on 11-12-2000 at 12:09 PM]

5. Contact the dealer you purchased your Lakland from and contct the Company. Even if the warranty has expired they both should be helpful. It may be possible for a local repairman tho replace the preamp if Lakland will send one out. Shipping your bass should be the last resort but may be the only way to get your bass repaired, your dealer should be helpful here, but don't forget to insure the instrument for more than replacement value going and coming back. Good luck.

6. Laker

Laker

Mar 23, 2000
    You could try cleaning the volume pot or if nervous about that try Lakland at dlakin@lakincorp.com or 773-871-9637.

7. Dear Cap, This could be a sign.
    Nothing wrong with Lakes-(anymore than anything else), but when I had a problem,-(Me),I wasn't happy with my tone, I started sniffing around. That led me to a guitar boutique that had a number of high end basses. the one that rose above the rest,(by a long shot) was a F Bass BN5. For the same money, I got a handcrafted bass with hand wound pickups, Lifetime warranty, rave reviews, (not mixed), and the best tone ever. If
    you have any doubts, look them up, and find the dealer near you. This
    is not just hype.You will thank me if you try one.

8. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    And if you decide to get rid of it because of this, let me know;)

I didn't have a problem shipping mine back to Lakland, I got the original box when I recieved my used 55-94 Limited (it was shipped to me). Immobilize the bass in the case, pack it well and insure it at or above replacement value. Simple.

*Bubble burst mode on*

While F basses are indeed very nice basses, they are not everything to everyone. That's why you see them on the used market. Frequently. I doubt that they're all being sold under duress:D I don't see as many F's being used as Laklands professionally...

*Bubble burst mode off*

9. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
  10. ka-tet

ka-tet

May 2, 2000
    Not that this is an F Bass thread but I have owned a Lakland and now I own an F. I would never buy another Lakland and I have a BN 6 on order due to arrive toward the end of December. Lakland is not a horrible instrument though overpriced I believe, but I could never get a good tone out of it. The F's preamp and pickups are by far better than the bartolini's in the Lake. The EQ frequencies are tuned perfectly for bass. The bass control adds depth and roundness to ALL strings and doesn't add booming muddiness. The mid adds just the right amount of punchy cut without any honkiness that many mid boosts create and the treble adds clarity yet retains warmth without any of the brittleness I have experienced with nearly every other EQ circuit I have tried. I have owned many basses and still do but the F Bass is absolutley the one that works best in every musical situation I find myself in.

11. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Sounds like how I'd describe my Lakland, with the exception of the pickups... I like the way Bartolinis sound on the basses I have them on (84 Tobias 5, Lakland 55-94, Zon Legacy Standard fretless 5).

I suppose I could get it to sound muddy if I tried but the way I use it, the way I string it and above all the way I play it precludes that from happening. Mine sounds great flat and I make small tweaks from there along with pickup configuration changes. I set the internal mid control where I wanted it. It has a studio quality sound IMO and I'm happy, probably even as happy as F bass owners:eek:

On the occassions when I did go to the Lakland board, one thing I thought was odd was the constant emails recommending that readers get F basses instead of Laklands. While that may seem like good advice, it was pretty bush league to do it there, on Lakland's own board:D But then, most of the crap on there was bush league.

Different strokes. I'm not trying to beat down F basses, but from what I could tell the Captain didn't express displeasure with his bass, he has a malfunction. So Bob says it could be a sign...I guess it could be....a sign ...to buy a Fodera;)

As I said, F basses are nice but so are several others that can do the job equally as well. If everyone loved them, the only reason to sell one would be death or having to pay the rent and I know those aren't the only reasons (besides Ceruse:eek: ). Several sites on the web currently have used F basses for sale, usually for much less than a Sadowsky or Fodera and a lot less than Foderas. I personally am not too crazy about the extended fretboard on the Caron fretless, too limiting IMO. The wooden pickup caps are pretty, if you like that sort of thing. If the day comes when I play one and it truly speaks to me, as it's spoken to some, I'll consider it. Until then, it's just another very nice bass.

12. ka-tet

ka-tet

May 2, 2000
    I agree with you. I'm not sure why anyone would suggest for CAp to sell his and for him to consider F Bass in this thread. He didn't ask for an alternative that's why I didn't say anything to him or anyone that they should go with F. I was just commenting on a little piece of the thread and I suppose as I have nothing to add to the actual topic of the thread I shouldn't have said anything. I don't care what instrument anyone plays. I'm only interested in the notes they play. In my experience with the F live and the Lake live, the F filled up the music best. A lot of basses I've played in music stores didn't do much for me until I heard them live or recorded which is the only true test of an instruments tone. When I give them real world tests then I know whether they're for me or not. From other threads I know Cap loves his Lakland so I think it rather odd that just because he's having an electronics problem someone would tell him to get rid of his bass. I personally don't like on board EQ's either but if a bass is going to have one it better be good. This is a rather disjointed post. I'm re-reading it and I see that I'm all over the. I need to stop and get some sleep. Good luck with getting your EQ fixed Cap. I'm sure it's something simple.

13. CaptainWally

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I'm going to get to the bottom of this problem soon.
    From what I've heard, the service at Lakland is top
    notch. I'm sold on the Lakland bass and I evaluated
    a bunch when I chose it. I like to poke fun at basses,
    but all kidding aside, all of these basses are pretty
    good and it comes down to personal choice.

Now for some poking:

Damn them F- basses is UGLY. U-G-L-Y! (see my
    no wimps post). While this is a matter of taste (or
    lack thereof), I don't want bright yellow, lime green,
    or neon red wood tone pick ups - no thanks! And the
    shape is a little too 70's funky for me. (Ok, they do
    sound pretty good)

But then again, it's hard to poke fun when your
    bass is on the fritz. :-(

14. Hey CaptainWally,

Herm Here,

I am a former Lakland employee, and part of my job was installing the electronics into the basses. My first advice would be to go inside the control cavity, and check all of the ground wires. There all black, and there's one that comes from the big module that's usually soldered to either the pan pot, or the volume pot. If it's loose, you preamp will not work. Another black wire to check, is the one from the battery clip. It should be attached to a terminal on the jack. It's hard to see if it's come loose from the jack sometimes, so you may have to remove the jack from the jackhole (huh huh, he said jackhole, huh huh) to see it. If that wire is loose, your preamp will not work. In either senario, you will still get sound in passive, but not active. If that doesn't work, you should be able to get warranty work from the dealer that you bought it from. Call Dan Lakin first though (847) 871-9637 to have him authorize it.

Good Luck!!!

Herm

15. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    ka-tet, while my post was after yours, you weren't the one to initially bring up the F's. They were brought up as a replacement option for his malfunctioning Lakland. Your comments aren't out of line and by all means don't think I'm on you for making them. I don't have a problem with Bob, either, he loves F basses...that's great.

Hope I didn't come of like the Thread Police. Sorry:D

16. Hey Guys, I'm sorry-OK? I did not mean to start a pissing contest. I just assumed (which I should learn not to) that someone might be in the discovery stage of instruments and tone, which I just ended. If I may explain; I bought my Lake without truly exploring all aspects.The bass was used in excellent condition. It was a 3tone burst quilt with a maple board, & Barts. I bought it a lot on hype and articles. It was truly beautiful, played great, and sounded good. After a few months of tweaking, and playing (out too)
    The tone was not what I wanted. It was more suited for jazz or country, than rock and progressive. It lacked the "juiciness" and sounded too dry and sterile. Iconsidered chaging pickups - I had extended dialogue with the tech at Lakland about putting Lane Poors in. I talked to Lane, and the sizes did not match. The only PU that would fit are Basslnes amd Carvn. It drove me crazy. I went looking for an Elrick, and came home with the Fbass BN5.
    Another observation that spooked me was Laklands' forum appeared to be a chat room of defense and people that wanted to justify the
    high price they paid -about $2,900
    now, I believe. Sorry, Just the way I see it.

17. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    How much is a new BN5? Just curious:D

BTW The Lakland board was a zoo, plain and simple. I know I'm not trying to justify the cost of mine, which wasn't even close to $2900.

Obviously it's personal...it's all about what you like and no one else. That was my point.

18. CaptainWally

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    i paid 2100 for my 55-94
    still a hefty fee.
    there is a bunch of basses around this
    price point that i looked at, including
    smith, modulus, f bass, mike lull, spector, etc.

i liked lakland the best..*shrug*

to be honest, i just want it fixed, sell my eden2x10xlt,
    possibly sell my p-bass, and then NOT think
    about gear for a long time.

19. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    How much for the 210xlt?