Help! My PC won't boot...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Techmonkey, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    ...! The lights come on and all the fans work, but the BIOS isn't beeping and nothing comes up on the monitor...

I've tried changing the motherboard, processor and graphics card... I have 2 RAM chips, and I've tried alternating between the two and the odds of both chips going at once are incredibly remote (But I'm buying another chip tomorrow just in case, I could do with more RAM anyway)

I can't honestly think of what else it could be. We've tried disconnecting the HDDs and all other drives except the floppy, and nothing makes any difference. Is it possible that I caught a virus before that wiped the BIOS, remained on my HDD so when I bought a new motherboard it loaded up again and wiped the BIOS again?

Please help! :bawl:

Thanks in advance... Tech.
  2. Have you tried another monitor? Everything seems to be working except that...
  3. M.D.S.

Nov 8, 2004
    Tried a different monitor?
  4. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    I think it might be your powersupply PSU
  5. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Try this:
    Have all the components in your computer.
    1. Take the video card out, start up the computer. If it doesn´t beep, put it back in.
    2. Take the memory out, start up, if it doesn´t beep, put it back in.
    3. Take the CPU out, start up, if it doesn´t beep, put it back in.

Do the same thing with the rest of the stuff, although those parts are not as vital to the computer as the ones here above.

If the computer starts beeping after you took something out, then you´ve found the faulty bit.

If it doesn't, well, then all points to motherboard or power supply.

Edit: By beep-ing I mean the standard error beeps when the computer senses that something is missing or broken.
    If the computer beeps, then the motherboard is alive but the component that you took out is the one who´s affecting it.
  6. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Seconding the PSU. If it actually is the PSU, you're pretty lucky as they're cheap and easy to replace.
  7. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    If you going to grab a new PSU i would suggest dont cheap out... get Antec performance... I think its well worth it... Especially if you can find a good deal on it:)
  8. Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    I've tried it with both my flat panel and my CRT, and neither work :(

I swapped out the PSU for another one (both 400 watters) which I had handy, and that didn't do anything either.

Tomorrow I will try booting without the RAM... That's just about the only thing I haven't swapped or tried booting without... Thanks for all the help everyone, I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow... :meh:
  9. irjason

irjason Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Could be the motherboard. Look for swolen or blown capacitors on it.
  10. Or the Akasa Pax Power

It really sounds like a dodgy power supply . . . but you've said you've tried changing everything, so god knows what it could be . . . It sounds exactly like what happened to me when my original PSU went, but you;ve tried another one, so, i dont know

Maybe something else was damaged if the PSU went, it can happen, just before my PSU went, two harddrives, two (of four) ram cips went and my graphics card went (a Hercules 9800Pro, which is quite a pricey card, well, it was a year ago!)
  11. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Waiiit wait wait wait wait everyone.

Did the BIOS do a POST? Did it beep at all? If it beeps once, good. That means somethign ELSE is messed up... like your monitor. Try taking all the RAM out and see if it starts beeping like crazy. FIRST THING you should do is get back to us with the POST beep patterns. This is really important. First, of course, check if the system speaker is plugged in. I wouldn't go swapping out things until I knew exactly what was wrong.

If it doesnt even get to the POST, then take out everything except for the processor and the memory, and see if it runs the POST. If it does, then slowly add things one by one and see if it boots. If it doesnt get to the POST (no beeps at all), then look into another mobo. I don't know what you mean by "changing the motherboard"... did you actually swap it out for a different one or something?
  12. Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Surely if the PSU isnt working the fan(s) wouldnt work either?

Is the power light coming on?
    So far everything is pointing to a problem with the monitor (your not getting any "beep" codes..(as I recall a video card failure will give 6/8 beeps)
    try a different monitor. (is your monitor showing anything? is it cycling through different colours?)
    If you suspect the BIOS has been corrupted by a virus (unlikely but can happen) try "flashing" it
    Check the jumper settings on the motherboard
    Try using a boot disk (a win 98 floppy ERD is particularly good).

Is this similar to your problem?

best of luck
  13. UnsungZeros

UnsungZeros The only winning move is not to play.

It seems that you've swaped out most of what could go wrong. My vote is that there's probably some bad wiring involved somewhere in the line of things. Check your cables.
  14. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Apsalutely not true.

It can send out low voltage, enough to do small thing but not enough to do anything else.

I'll also recommand to disconect everything including hard drives... cable could be bad (ata or what not).
  15. So...

... how'd you post?

Oh, I'm kidding. Keep your pants on.
  16. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    He was obviously looking at malicious p@R^ sites. Keeping his pants on would've been a preventative measure.
  17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I had a PSU go out several months ago, and all of my fans would come on, but the PC would not boot up.

I tried everything he has, including a new MB.

Once I replaced the PSU with a new Antec, all was well.
  18. Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    Well as it turns out, two RAM chips really did blow at once :scowl: The only thing that happened between it working and it not working is the electrician coming, so that might have had something to do with it... Even though the computer was off :meh: And surely the PSU would have blown first... hmmm... Anyways, thank you everybody for all the help... I really appreciate it! Oh yeah, I'm on the laptop now btw ;)

I bought a new RAM chip from PCWorld at an extortionate price to do me until I see a good bargain on the internet for a better one. The computer booted fine after a little tinkering... But now Windows won't load because of all the hardware changes... and the way things are going it looks like I might have to reinstall Windows...

However, all of my music and pictures are in the My Documents folder, and if I reinstall windows, I'll loose it... Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could save the files from my documents before re-installing??
  19. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Pull the hard drive and connect it to another PC. Copy all your files from that hard drive onto the hard drive of the other PC.

20. You should keep an eye on Some really nice deals pop up quite often (and it is updated a couple times a day).