Help my poor bass - Neck is stained yellow

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by lo-end, Aug 3, 2004.

1. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    I have a new 2003 stingray with an unfinished maple neck and fingerboard. Not realizing the implications of this I stupidly rubbed martin guitar polish all over it (neck and fingerboard) several times. It now has a disgusting yellow color (it was whiter looking originally) and a strange, almost damp feeling to it. What can I do to save the wood? Should I sand it down?

Help me save my bass!

Oh yeah, heres a pic. Its a shame that I might have ruined her

image removed by me
  2. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    How long ago did you do this.
  3. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    Probably a few months ago, I dont really know, but I know it wasnt before Feb 2003 if thats any help...
  4. SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    that sucks. sorry i cant help
  5. Franklin229

Franklin229 Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeast USA
    If it were me, I would try some denatured alcohol on some small, less obvious area to see if it removes the polish, avoiding the neck decals. Might take a few rubs. Make sure the rag you use is ultra clean-keep flipping it to a clean area-you do not rub dirt/polish back into the wood. If it works and you want to move to larger area, get a bunch of clean rags ready and go for it. If not-stop and consult a reputable furniture refinisher to get thier advice-or you could do that first if you were not feeling adventuresome.
  6. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Ask this in the Luthier's corner, maybe someone there knows how to deal with this
  7. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    I woudln't do anything, but asking some luthier if to rescue the bass. :)
  8. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
  9. cosmodrome

cosmodrome Registered User

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    i'd get some professional help (pun intended).
    look for or call a really good repairguy/musicstore in your area. i wouldn't mess it up any further if i were u.
  10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I am moving this to the Luthier's corner, and changing the thread title. If it doesn't get a good response there, ask for it to be moved to Setup.
  11. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    What you are saying, lo, is that the maple neck'n'board was whitish, until you used Martin's guitar polish on it. And then it turned yellow;
    right away?
    after some time? How long?
    was the bass new at the time?

Reasons for asking:
    If the stain came with the treatment, it is probably something with the polish, and could be fairly easily handled.
    If it came afte some time, it could of course be the polish that got stained. However, you must remember that all wood reacts to light! And the result is yellowish...which is not to be done anything abot!
  12. elwood

elwood there is no spoo

Jul 25, 2001
    Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    I have no experience with Martin guitar polish, and don't know if it is polymerized or not, but my choice for removing it would be acetone. That is what I was recommended for cleaning the wood when refinishing my bass and also for prepping a fretless board for a hard coat.
  13. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Were it me, I'd try some 0000 steel wool on a small area to see if I could buff it off before putting ANY chemical on it.

You DO realize that bare maple yellows with age anyway, right?
  14. emor

May 16, 2004
    Acetone will remove the original finish as well, and is super flammable.

Does the polish list its ingredients? (probably not).
    If it has silicone in it refinishing will be problematic.

You might try naphtha and a soft cloth. It is commonly used to remove wax build up from furniture. Naphtha is flammable also and rags should be laid out flat or hung up outside to dry before disposing.

After wiping w/ naphtha, wax will appear as a white haze which then must be buffed off.
  15. emor

May 16, 2004
    Sorry, missed that first time around. Still, acetone will damage the body finish, so take care.