1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help My Poor P-Bass! String Suggestions Needed.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by EricTheEZ1, Aug 18, 2007.

1. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    I have a Fender 50's Reissue P-Bass. It was modified before I got it. It's got a Basslines pickup that has more bass and treble, but less midrange than normal P-Basses have (very smooth tone). It also has a BadAss II bridge and straplocks. Hence the reason I got it.

When I turn the tone knob more than 5% on, it looses all midrange expect some really high-mids, gets really trebly, and looses significant bass as well. A lot of clang and finger noise, but not much useable tone other than for slap which it's quite good at.

What I'm looking for is some strings with a lot of midrange to them. I would consider groundwounds or flatwounds. I would like to have a very growly, but not trebly tone. A lot of The Meters tunes would give you an idea of what I'm looking for. I mostly use the bass for Motown, Classic Rock, and old-school funk. I can deal with loosing good slap tone, because I will be buying a Jazz bass for that in the future.

Any suggestions?

2. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Fender 7250 nickel wrap. Nice bottom and mids, mellows out the treble significantly.

3. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I have Brite Flats on pretty much the same setup you describe. Not overly trebly, but they do have a good bit of mids.

4. DR low riders love to funk!

5. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    The nice thing about flats is that even with the tone control up, the highs don't get out of hand. In other words, they are thumpier than rounds but you may be able to keep more mids in your sound because you don't have to turn the tone down. I am lovin the LaBella Flats.

6. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    it sounds like you aren't happy with the tone of the pickup. changing strings may help, to some degree, but i would suggest changing the pickup. put in a CS Fender pickup. problem solved. imo of course :smug:

7. BellBottomBlues

BellBottomBlues

Feb 21, 2007
    New York
    Endorser:Fender User:Rotosound, LaBella, Ashdown, Lindy Fralin
    IMHO that bass got several problems for your tone.

SD QP's are a very bright and trebley pickup. I suggest getting either the Fender 62 RI pup (run you about $60 and change IIRC) or a Nordstrand NP4 or Lindy Fralin (roughly $120)

Also the Badass is a designed for snappier response and sustain, I suggest either finding a wilkinson brass p-bass bridge or getting a hipshot B style bridge (thats the vintage styling IIRC)

As for strings, if you want to turn it into a thump machine, swap those parts and toss on a set of flats (I use Jamerson sigs, a very nice string)

Optima Gold strings are a nice all purpose string if you ask me if you change it back into semi-stock (aka upgraded stuff listed above) and look nice on the bass due to the gold pickguard.

8. bassic_element

bassic_element

Sep 20, 2006
  9. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Chromes have alot of highs for a flatwound. I also like LaBella, though I'm not sure they have that much in terms of mids. If you want a mid monster try the TI 344s.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Pickup change. That's what you need. CS Fender.

11. markdavid

markdavid

Jun 29, 2007
    A different pickup is what you need. I would have a look out for an original Fender pickup. Also you dont say what replacement pickup has been used, if its a basslines quarter pounder than it will have less mids

12. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    +2 on the pickup change you can't make a pick up produce sounds it does not do well. The 62 p RI pickup is an awesome pickup for the money and will restore most of what you want. The bridge does not make that much difference IMHO and will be fine once you change the pickup. I have a 50's p and it sounds amazing with the stock fender pickup and it is not even a 62 RI just whatever fender threw in it.

13. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Yes, it's a Basslines, but I can't tell which one.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    BTW, don't think for one second that you'll lose good slap tone on a Precision if you don't have the pickup providing a scoop for you. I like the sound of a slapped Precision a lot, even more than I like the sound of a slapped Jazz.

15. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Yeah, I think I'll go hunting for a new pickup then. I'll have to do some research.

16. vtwo

vtwo

Dec 16, 2006
    Connecticut
    +1

17. BellBottomBlues

BellBottomBlues

Feb 21, 2007
    New York
    Endorser:Fender User:Rotosound, LaBella, Ashdown, Lindy Fralin
    i suggest a lindyt fralin PJ set, dunno what your budget is though.

18. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    Vintage reissue fender p pickups have GREAT mid response.

19. anesthetist

anesthetist

Nov 25, 2006
    Finland
    couldn't it be that the pickups are too high?

try lowering them.

20. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Too HIGH? I doubt it. They're at a normal height. Any lower and it wouldn't matter what the height is because the tone would suffer.