1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help! my string keep breaking when i tune up!

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by joedontmove, Sep 12, 2008.

1. joedontmove

joedontmove

Sep 12, 2008
    Hi there, recently bought a cheap double bass. My strings keep breaking at the top when im tuning up. Does anyone know what the problem could be?

is my bridge is positioned wrong?(about an inch below the top of the f holes)?

am i tuning up to pitch too soon and should wear the strings for a bit before i do?

is it cos its a cheap bass?

thanks. joe

2. 1st Bass

1st Bass

May 26, 2005
    Forest Grove, OR
    Could be all of the above-- usually the bridge is centered on (or close to) the inside "nicks" in the f-holes. It sounds as though you have it too high...

When you say it is breaking "at the top", do you mean at the tuning machine string-holes, or at the nut (the crosspiece at the top of the fingerboard)? Either way, you may need to take a tiny round file, and smooth the edge where the string is being cut.

You can lubricate the string groove (in both the nut and the bridge) with graphite from a regular #2 pencil...that will minimize drag as the string is coming up to pitch. Seems to help, anyway.

Even a cheap bass, set up correctly, should not keep breaking strings. What kind of strings, anyway? Any chance the strings are the problem?